Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenMandriva Progressing On Rolling Release Version, Moving Away From i686 Repository

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenMandriva Progressing On Rolling Release Version, Moving Away From i686 Repository

Phoronix: OpenMandriva Progressing On Rolling Release Version, Moving Away From i686 Repository

For those looking for another rolling-release Linux distribution to try and one whose roots trace back to the legendary Mandrake Linux, OpenMandriva has been working to establish its own rolling-release spin for those preferring the latest software packages as opposed to their conventional releases. Additionally, OpenMandriva is nearing the end of its i686 repository offering while continuing to work with Wine and 32-bit games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OpenMandriva has solved the problem of 32-bit packages to the point where wine can run both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows applications out of the box, steam keeps working, and even pcsx2 keeps working.
    Any 32-bit packages that are broken by the transition should be reported and will be fixed.

Comment

I used Mandrake, way back in 2000. It was my first Linux distribution, as it was billed as easier to use than Red Hat. And it was. I loved it. Had really good software for me out of the box, I was able to work on my computer science homework w/o needing to install other stuff (i.e. GCC, color coded text editor, ssh, etc.). I only stopped using Mandrake once Ubuntu came out and had way better driver support for my computer.
      Last edited by motang; 18 July 2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Michael

They have some rolling isos in their forums.

Comment

Originally posted by berolinux View Post
          OpenMandriva has solved the problem of 32-bit packages to the point where wine can run both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows applications out of the box, steam keeps working, and even pcsx2 keeps working.
          Any 32-bit packages that are broken by the transition should be reported and will be fixed.
          Sounds great. Does this mean you can run 32 bit without 32 wine library?
          Will these also send in upstream to Wine?
          Last edited by Pranos; 19 July 2020, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by berolinux View Post
            that's a very glorified way to put it. They are just shipping 32bit and 64bit applications/libraries in the same package (from the 64bit repo), or even just moved some 32bit libs in the 64bit repo if it's needed for "multilib" (aka running 32bit applications).
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2020, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
              no it's a packaging thing, they changed how they are shipping 32bit applications/libraries since they don't feel like keeping a whole repo for a handful of applications and libraries. (which is basically Wine and its dependencies only at this point)
              So it's either 32bit+64bit packages or 32bit packages into the 64bit repo.

Comment

No, it means we have the right 32-bit libraries inside the 64-bit repositories.

Will these also send in upstream to Wine?
                It all is in upstream wine, the wine guys call it WOW64.

But many distributions don't build wine that way because they have separate repositories and no way to pull in 32-bit repositories when building 64-bit packages.

Unlike some others that are solving the problem by essentially keeping old 32-bit libraries around forever, we will keep updating the 32-bit libraries that are needed for wine, steam or other 32-bit-only stuff users care about.

We've modified the packages for the relevant libraries to build both 64-bit and 32-bit versions from the same source (and in separate subpackages so people who don't need wine/steam don't need to carry around 32-bit cruft), so the 32-bit libraries will always be up to date.

Comment

Wonder if Mageia do the same, Would be the only distro that would pull me from Manjaro tbh. Switched from Mageia when I upgraded to Xen1 as support at the time was lacking.

Comment

I thought PCLinuxOS was rolling release Mandriva.

Comment

Working...
                    X