Approved: Fedora 33 Desktop Variants Defaulting To Btrfs File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Oracle doesn't develop Solaris and you know it. it's in maintenance mode along with HP-UX. Oracle doesn't care about Sun and never has they bought them to kill MySQL.
    Yep and this is why MySQL has regulat new updates with new fearures every 3~ months.
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/8.0/en/
    Without that MariaDB guys would have muuuuch less to chew.

Latest Solaris version is Solaris 11.4 SRU 23.69.3. New SRU is regularly released every month.
    Every month you can see some new drivers (recently for Mellanox cards).
    Every half year SRU contains not only bugfixes and some drivers extensions but core new features.

Comment

• Originally posted by kloczek View Post

Yep and this is why MySQL has regulat new updates with new fearures every 3~ months.
      https://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/8.0/en/
      Without that MariaDB guys would have muuuuch less to chew.

Latest Solaris version is Solaris 11.4 SRU 23.69.3. New SRU is regularly released every month.
      Every month you can see some new drivers (recently for Mellanox cards).
      Every half year SRU contains not only bugfixes and some drivers extensions but core new features.
      wtf is wrong with you? Oracle is so evil.. whatever man.

Comment

• I’m surprised that a file system can be so controversial. I’m new to Linux and have Fedora 32 installed on a spindle disk. The plan is to later upgrade to an SSD and do a fresh reinstall, but I still can’t wrap my head around this new btrfs filesystem.

- Is it good or bad for SSDs?
        - Is it good or bad for spindle disks?
        - If I want to store btrfs snapshots on a spindle disk for backup, must the spindle disk be formatted to btrfs?

I’ve heard everything from btrfs is the future to it’s the worst thing that will ruin your data. It's hard to get concrete information on this. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by herman View Post
          I’m surprised that a file system can be so controversial. I’m new to Linux and have Fedora 32 installed on a spindle disk. The plan is to later upgrade to an SSD and do a fresh reinstall, but I still can’t wrap my head around this new btrfs filesystem.

- If I want to store btrfs snapshots on a spindle disk for backup, must the spindle disk be formatted to btrfs?

I’ve heard everything from btrfs is the future to it’s the worst thing that will ruin your data. It's hard to get concrete information on this. Thanks!
          Good for spindle disks, not too bad on SSDs.

Didn't know snapshots can be stored off disk.

Comment

Yes it is good for both SSD and HDD. With its native compression (zstd, LZO, zlib) you can save bytes written on your SSD. Also, snapshots can be stored on any medium, including in a tar file.

Code:
            btrfs send /mnt/snapshots/home.20200718 | tar cfz /media/backup-drive/home.20200718.tgz -T -
            You can also send your snapshot over ssh to another computer or remote location for backup. This also works with incremental snapshots! (You do have to save each incremental archive between each full snapshot on the target location)
            Last edited by S.Pam; 27 July 2020, 07:00 AM. Reason: Tar error

Comment

• Originally posted by Mangix View Post

Good for spindle disks, not too bad on SSDs.

Didn't know snapshots can be stored off disk.
              Thank you. I was under the impression reading material online that you can store snapshots on a storage device. I would think it'd be popular to do this in order to guard against the risk of hard drive failure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spam View Post
                Yes it is good for both SSD and HDD. With its native compression (zstd, LZO, zlib) you can save bytes written on your SSD. Also, snapshots can be stored on any medium, including in a tar file.

Code:
                btrfs send /mnt/snapshots/home.20200718 | cfz /media/backup-drive/home.20200718.tgz -T -
                You can also send your snapshot over ssh to another computer or remote location for backup. This also works with incremental snapshots! (You do have to save each incremental archive between each full snapshot on the target location)
                Thank you for this. I was hoping I could keep the spindle on ext4 and now it looks like I can. This sounds like btrfs snapshots will be very useful for regular users.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  It's fine.
                  w00t. I re-installed my laptop with LUKS + BTRFS. Got snapper up and running with some minor modifications to the timeline. I added `chattr +C` to my Firefox and Thunderbird profile directories, as well as on some VM and container directories and so they don't suffer too much from the copy on write.

Comment

• Originally posted by aorth View Post

w00t. I re-installed my laptop with LUKS + BTRFS. Got snapper up and running with some minor modifications to the timeline. I added `chattr +C` to my Firefox and Thunderbird profile directories, as well as on some VM and container directories and so they don't suffer too much from the copy on write.
                    you can also add "autodefrag" to the fstab's filesystem options coloumn to deal with that. Going nocow is necessary only for very heavy fragmentation, like databases doing real production jobs in a server, and VMs.

also installing the btrfsmaintenance application (with its cron jobs) is a good idea, it's installed by default in OpenSUSE

Comment

Thank you. I was under the impression reading material online that you can store snapshots on a storage device. I would think it'd be popular to do this in order to guard against the risk of hard drive failure.
                      you can copy snapshots to another drive with send/receive commands. The other storage device can be formatted with btrfs for this to work directly, or if it is not formatted with btrfs you can put them into a file. You are just piping the send command into a compression tool (tar or lzip for example) that will generate a compressed file, and reversing that for the receive when you want to restore the snapshot. This is similar to ZFS functionality.

This can be done manually, or using a software that does it automatically, see this page on btrfs wiki for details https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index....emental_Backup
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2020, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X