No announcement yet.

Approved: Fedora 33 Desktop Variants Defaulting To Btrfs File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another great FS with no recovery tools whatsoever. Once you have a serious enough crash, or you delete files accidentally, say goodbye to your data. ext4 might not be modern, or fancy or may lack cool features but it's extremely reliable (every Android phone uses it - two billion devices).

Comment

So RHEL is essentially deprecating Btrfs in EL, then making it a default in Fedora. I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
        i'm using a custom updated kernel. It helped in the measure it's xanmod and it helps any computer
        running Ubuntu or Debian

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Another great FS with no recovery tools whatsoever. Once you have a serious enough crash, or you delete files accidentally, say goodbye to your data.
          Its fsck is fine, and you should have backups anyway if you are not a complete moron. Recovery tools won't save you in more than 50% of the cases where you deleted stuff in a live system, unless you SCRAMBLE to stop all processes and run the recovery, in my experience.

(every Android phone uses it - two billion devices).
          Android isn't a good example of "stability", besides they have plenty of read-only partitions in case anything goes wrong and you need to factory reset.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 16 July 2020, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
            Lol, what an ignorant statement.
            lol what a troll

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              So RHEL is essentially deprecating Btrfs in EL, then making it a default in Fedora. I'm confused.
              they'll undeprecate btrfs from RHEL after enough guinea pigs... ahem community users have used btrfs enough in the Beta Test.... ahem community release.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                You're right the Redhat deprecation is one of mysteries about all this that no one seems willing or able to discuss.
                IIRC there's no mystery about it. I read somewhere that Red Hat simply can't/won't commit to supporting such a fast-paced project as btrfs for 10 years. IOWs, it's a backporting nightmare.

Comment

[...] thumbnails generation to steam game install(gigabit internet)
                  Actually, I was expecting Steam to pop up. Steam distribution system is a nightmare. They do a fsync after every written file! So, if apt is bad, Steam is one of the worst. Personally, I have a separate ext4 formatted disk for my Steam installation, since it won't fit my main drives anyway.

Regarding thumbnail generation: which software? I don't see how writing new files could cause IO stalls like what you're implying. I'm using btrfs in a lot of systems (most of them in a desktop/workstation role) with photos and videos in the thousands for any particular user: never seen something like that. But I don't use ubuntu (their kernel backporting and patching is garbage), and I don't use gnome.

any kind [...]
                  That's a bold statement. Bad applications exists (two examples above) and btrfs does indeed suffer more in situations where an excessive number of fsync calls are being issued, but to call it bad for any kind of workloads isn't accurate. If you believe phoronix's numbers, you will see this. If you don't, btrfs developers are working on sane benchmarks; synthetics are mostly useless, in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by useless View Post
                    Actually, I was expecting Steam to pop up. Steam distribution system is a nightmare. They do a fsync after every written file! So, if apt is bad, Steam is one of the worst.
                    Yep, they come from Windows land allright.

Comment

i'm using btrfs for many years, but i'm glad they changed default. i'll get better support and others will get better default
                      Last edited by pal666; 16 July 2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X