• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
    ... btrfs ... i/o stalls...
    uname -r

?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      RedHat went to all their customers and said btrfs wasn't trustworthy in an apparent attempt to steal business away from SuSE and Oracle
      [citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
        Apparently, the aspiring Fedora Workstation user is clamouring for all these "advanced features" yet somehow can't seem to cope with Vi.
        Why should that be a contradiction? Fedora users may very well have advanced usage requirements, but no time for, no interest in and no reason to learn vi.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Why should that be a contradiction? Fedora users may very well have advanced usage requirements, but no time for, no interest in and no reason to learn vi.
          It's a fallacy of inconsistency. The absurdity is funny.

Comment

Will Dropbox decide to support Btrfs? Or those Fedora users will be very disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by johnvardas View Post
              Will Dropbox decide to support Btrfs? Or those Fedora users will be very disappointed
              What are the issues with Dropbox+Btrfs? I've been running Dropbox on Ubuntu with a Btrfs filesystem and didn't run into any problem thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                What are the issues with Dropbox+Btrfs? I've been running Dropbox on Ubuntu with a Btrfs filesystem and didn't run into any problem thus far.
                I had to google it, but apparently Dropbox dropped support for all filesystems other than Ext4 sometime in 2018 - however, they apparently reinstated support for most of them (including Btrfs) about a year ago, so no need to panic.

Edit: apparently the original loss of support had something to do with concerns over xattr support across different filesystems, though no idea if there was actually any substance to that.
                Last edited by Delgarde; 16 July 2020, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                  I'm curious how many people would use the default file-system without looking at it.
                  most will

The only other significant distro I can think of that doesn't default ext4 is OpenSUSE, but I have always installed it with ext4 as its what I know.
                  you heathen

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

I had to google it, but apparently Dropbox dropped support for all filesystems other than Ext4 sometime in 2018 - however, they apparently reinstated support for most of them (including Btrfs) about a year ago, so no need to panic.

Edit: apparently the original loss of support had something to do with concerns over xattr support across different filesystems, though no idea if there was actually any substance to that.
                    AFAIK xattrs are supported on Ext3/4. JFS, XFS, Btrfs and F2FS. There are some issues with them on ZFS and NTFS (on Linux). Ext2 and FAT don't have them at all. I don't know about ExFAT.

So if it's about having correctly working xattr support then there shouldn't be any problem with the mainstream Linux filesystems.

Comment

I want to like BTRFS and have been trying every so often since 2010. Glad to see it stabilize for the general use case over the last few years. How are people using encryption for now, though? I am currently doing LUKS + LVM + ext4. Is it terrible if I do LUKS + BTRFS?

Comment

Working...
                      X