• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So .. when switch to ZFS?

Comment

Michael I'd really like to an up to date benchmark on btrfs specifics:

*space_cache=v2
      *noatime
      *compress-force=zstd:n for all levels 1 to 15 (compress-force is faster for zstd)
      ​​​​​​*compress=lzo
      *no quotas
      On HDD's and on SSD and nvme.

Those settings are what most experienced admins and devs are using in #btrfs channel.
      Last edited by S.Pam; 17 July 2020, 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

Neal has spoken about this on podcasts, this is strictly for Workstation (and the Spins inherit, I believe). Server is remaining Ext4 and is the closer lineage to RHEL tracking than Workstation.

Cheers,
        Mike
        Correction: XFS is the default in Fedora Server. Same as RHEL

Comment

Fedora is finally achieving their long-term goal of becoming a downstream project to openSUSE. Now all they need to do is embrace rolling release, YaST, zypper and KDE, and the assimilation will be complete.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Correction: XFS is the default in Fedora Server. Same as RHEL
            Derp, was thinking about the statement I was responding to when I wrote that. Good catch, fixed.

Cheers,
            Mike
            Last edited by mroche; 15 July 2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              Do Windows users experience space limitation issues like Linux users?
              As a Linux user, I don't believe I have ever had a "space limitation issue"

If my drive is full, I delete something. regardless of which OS or filesystem I use.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                I looked over the Fedora page linked in the article. No indication if the installer will give a user any choices other than btrfs, but it would be nice to see alternative choices for the sake of diversity.
                The live image installer is just essentially preformatted filesystems with packages pre-installed that gets synced over to the hard disk ie) rsync or dd. The net installer does support other filesystems however including Ext4 and XFS

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                  Willingness to reverse a meaningful public decision if proven incorrect is a mature, but sadly not universal trait. Not that mispredicting the future of a filesystem is some kind of sin. (Business-wise maybe it is, but logically I don't see it.)

I wonder which features exactly they will enable by default, though, since not all of them are best for every case. And since they are choosing BTRFS, does that mean they think it is or will be the better choice for desktop than EXT4? Is the sunset of EXT4 in the Linux world on the horizon, or does this still have more to do with workstation and server?

Also, we will get to see how deep this maturity runs when Fedora 33 is benchmarked, and if someone at Red Hat will join SUSE in calling Phoronix 'garbage'.
                  BTRFS is great on the desktop. Snapshotting, being able to roll back if an update borks itself etc. is brilliant. Also, not having to worry about partitioning, sizes etc., being able to add drives and make them "just work" seamlessly is a breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Fedora is finally achieving their long-term goal of becoming a downstream project to openSUSE. Now all they need to do is embrace rolling release, YaST, zypper and KDE, and the assimilation will be complete.
                    We get it, you love openSUSE and don't like Fedora.

Comment

Hahahaha. Btrfs haters on suicide watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X