Approved: Fedora 33 Desktop Variants Defaulting To Btrfs File-System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approved: Fedora 33 Desktop Variants Defaulting To Btrfs File-System

Phoronix: Approved: Fedora 33 Desktop Variants Defaulting To Btrfs File-System

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee formally signed off today on allowing Fedora 33 desktop variants to default to using the Btrfs file-system rather than the existing EXT4 default or other alternatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora is a good boi!

Comment

Great news!

Comment

Willingness to reverse a meaningful public decision if proven incorrect is a mature, but sadly not universal trait. Not that mispredicting the future of a filesystem is some kind of sin. (Business-wise maybe it is, but logically I don't see it.)

I wonder which features exactly they will enable by default, though, since not all of them are best for every case. And since they are choosing BTRFS, does that mean they think it is or will be the better choice for desktop than EXT4? Is the sunset of EXT4 in the Linux world on the horizon, or does this still have more to do with workstation and server?

Also, we will get to see how deep this maturity runs when Fedora 33 is benchmarked, and if someone at Red Hat will join SUSE in calling Phoronix 'garbage'.

Comment

I'm curious how many people would use the default file-system without looking at it.

The only other significant distro I can think of that doesn't default ext4 is OpenSUSE, but I have always installed it with ext4 as its what I know.
          Last edited by Templar82; 15 July 2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
            Is the sunset of EXT4 in the Linux world on the horizon, or does this still have more to do with workstation and server?
            Neal has spoken about this on podcasts, this is strictly for Workstation (and the Spins inherit, I believe). Server is remaining XFS and is the closer lineage to RHEL tracking than Workstation.

Cheers,
            Mike

Edit: Ext4 -> XFS. Conflicting trains of thought.
            Last edited by mroche; 15 July 2020, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Installed Rawhide yesterday, but after the restarting the system I stuck on Fedora loading screen. I think this implementation have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                Installed Rawhide yesterday, but after the restarting the system I stuck on Fedora loading screen. I think this implementation have a problem.
                It is Fedora so you should expect to have some problems. The same applies to running Debian Bullseye or Debian Sid.

The code for those OS will compile and a distro can be built, but there will be some rough edges and incompatibilities.

Have you filed a very detailed bug report with the Fedora folks?

Comment

I looked over the Fedora page linked in the article. No indication if the installer will give a user any choices other than btrfs, but it would be nice to see alternative choices for the sake of diversity.

I looked over the bug report referenced on the Fedora page that is linked in the article. The first questions that came to mind:

Do Windows users experience space limitation issues like Linux users?

What do Windows users do about these space limitations?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                    Do Windows users experience space limitation issues like Linux users?

What do Windows users do about these space limitations?
                    Windows users are very diverse and can't speak for them all

Comment

Working...
                    X