Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
    Isn't this strange?
    Fedora a playground for stuff that may later land in RedHat. I thought RedHat had given up on btrfs, and were all in on xfs (with Stratis and other stuff on top)
    While Fedora serves as upstream for RHEL, Fedora is considerably different in many areas already (Ext4 is the default in Fedora workstation while Xfs is the default in RHEL). Stratis is more geared towards providing a layered solution for RHEL and Fedora workstation doesn't share the same goals. These differences in the goals of Fedora vs RHEL is precisely why ELN exists

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...ot_and_Compose

Comment

Fedora's goal in life is to become openSUSE junior.

Comment

Thin provisioning, over provisioning and/or compression == future "surprise" failure.

Comment

FreeBSD's been doing this for 10 years or better now.. They just pretty much turn on lz4 for almost everything non base due to lz4 skipping files it can't compress quickly.

Dataset compression settings:
          zpool compression off
          zpool/ROOT compression off
          zpool/ROOT/initial compression lz4
          zpool/root compression lz4
          zpool/tmp compression lz4
          zpool/usr compression off
          zpool/usr/home compression lz4
          zpool/usr/jails compression lz4
          zpool/usr/obj compression lz4
          zpool/usr/ports compression lz4
          zpool/usr/src compression lz4
          zpool/var compression off
          zpool/var/audit compression lz4
          zpool/var/log compression lz4
          zpool/var/mail compression lz4
          zpool/var/tmp compression lz4

That is a pretty simple laout, binaries are left uncompressed (inherit from /usr) If you're looking for a model.. that is a good start. Ubuntu I know has taken a more varied layout but it's similar.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 08 July 2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

They really need to not F that up. Torvalds uses that OS, and CoC or not, he'll rip them if they don't test reality.
            Last edited by tildearrow; 08 July 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Is there any reason why xfs isn't the default?

I would be perfectly happy with btrfs, it just seems to me that xfs provides the path of least resistance away from ext4.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                Is there any reason why xfs isn't the default?

I would be perfectly happy with btrfs, it just seems to me that xfs provides the path of least resistance away from ext4.
                XFS is the default for Fedora server. For workstation, shrinking was considered important and the feature set for Btrfs is quite different

Comment

The only thing I miss implementation is encryption and the only thing I miss a fix is quotas... Quotas have a huge performance impact but is a relevant feature.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    FreeBSD's been doing this for 10 years or better now.. They just pretty much turn on lz4 for almost everything non base due to lz4 skipping files it can't compress quickly.
                    BTRFS does the same per file, zstd can skip in-compressible data automatically. And the heuristic is pretty fast, more than 1GB/s per thread. To the point you have `compress` and `compress-force`

Comment

I use BTRFS w/ zstd:3 compression on Ubuntu, including a rpi4 installation. I love BTRFS, it's much much more usable that before, offers lots of useful features.

Comment

Working...
                      X