No announcement yet.

Fedora Developers Evaluating Compression Options For Btrfs-By-Default Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Developers Evaluating Compression Options For Btrfs-By-Default Proposal

Phoronix: Fedora Developers Evaluating Compression Options For Btrfs-By-Default Proposal

The proposal for using Btrfs by default on the Fedora desktop is gaining a fair amount of traction and interest from the community and could possibly move ahead but further testing and decisions are still to be made...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Exciting times indeed!
    Today I was listening to the last episode of Linux Unplugged and guess what's the main line?
    Of course buttery smooth Fedora
    Fedora's getting to work and reconsidering some long held-assumptions.

I wonder how long on the other front for Ubuntu derivatives to give ZFS some traction too and help Canonical with developing OS integrations and tools.

Long Live the Cow, the Ext is dead!
    Last edited by horizonbrave; 08 July 2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

That's simple. 2 for SSDs where speed is crucial (since Zstd fast values aren't supported), 9 to 12 for HDDs, and 15 (since BTRFS doesn't have ultra levels) for bulk storage.

Comment

Fedora has some work to do with btrfs integration and UX. They offer snapper but just recently in an up-to-date version for FC33. Next thing should be GUI tools for handling btrfs subvolumes in a proper way and to make the multitude of its features available on a graphical level.

When I last tried to install Fedora in a VM there were some shortcomings when accessing advanced features like subvolumes and multi-device handling, therefore some improvements are needed in Anaconda and blivet-gui. By the way even openSUSEs installer didn't too well in this regard the last time I tried it (some weeks ago).

Apart from that I recently bought a second SSD to eventually install Fedora on btrfs, just before the discussion about making it a standard started. Trendsetter..?

Comment

I have openSUSE installed in a virtual machine with BTRFS for my internal 2TB hard drive. If the BTRFS is available in the installer, I will give that a try when I download a rawhide image. The main partitions will be using ext4, including /home.

Comment

We only need native Btrfs encryption and everything will be good

Comment

Level 3 is all you need for zstd. Best compression/speed ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                We only need native Btrfs encryption and everything will be good
                i'd say that and per-object or at least per-subvolume raid levels

Comment

Isn't this strange?
                  Fedora a playground for stuff that may later land in RedHat. I thought RedHat had given up on btrfs, and were all in on xfs (with Stratis and other stuff on top)

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                    Isn't this strange?
                    Fedora a playground for stuff that may later land in RedHat. I thought RedHat had given up on btrfs, and were all in on xfs (with Stratis and other stuff on top)
                    Red Hat uses Fedora as a place to experiment and harden new technologies, but that isn't all Fedora is. I know I've read on this forum a number of times that Fedora is merely a RHEL beta, but it's really, really not true. And as we see here, this applies in multiple ways. This change was led by non-RH community members (including some of our contributors from Facebook), and doesn't reflect (or impact) Red Hat's plans. But, you'll also see Red Hat's Stratis and other Project Springfield initiatives continue development and testing in Fedora, and in particular with Fedora Server, which will continue to use xfs.

Comment

Working...
                    X