GNU Guix Begins Publishing System Images Based On Hurd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    He may be older person. Seriously, if you are past certain age, few years forward or back makes next to no difference. It's mentally all in "back then" category.
    Exactly,
    In 30 years since, 6 months on front or back are nothing..

And Hurd was postponed, since they knew that a free open kernel was been developed( Linux )..
    In other words, it was not a priority to continue its development( And I am still not convinced that it started to be a priority now.. )..

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That's not an excuse.
      An excuse?
      Are you on drugs?
      Go ahead and tell me the exact dates when Linux and Hurd were started, and then come back to a serious conversation..

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

openbsd hardware support is fine as long as you stick to intel or older amd graphics and choose wifi card carefully. On some thinkpads it's hardware support is said to be better than linux's (sleep/restore etc). It's main gripe (for me) is it's ffs2 file system.
        Usb 1 through 3 work on it too, hurd does not even have basic usb yet.
        ffs, ffs2?

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          Go ahead and tell me the exact dates when Linux and Hurd were started,
          We both know Hurd is older, if even by a smaller margin

and then come back to a serious conversation..
          I'm not the old man that decided to nitpick about a non-important age thing where he is still technically wrong.

Comment

I am glad people are still playing it. Yes, it still matters because young minds need something smaller to play with.
            Linux kernel is toooooo big now. Hardware support is also a debatable thing. I don't care if an OS support every hardware in the world.
            I really care if it supports my hardware well.

Yeh, in the end, a beautiful, efficient desktop GUI wins over any kernel. I am still hunting...

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
              look at the previous century as to what happened when a small number of people decide what everybody else needs ...
              Has this changed in this century? Please tell me where is this mythical place where there is no small number of people deciding what everybody else needs.

Comment

That's great!

Now can someone just PLEASE share a link with them?!

I'll leave it just here: https://sel4.systems/

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

Their is one.... Linux. No Seriously.
                  And why not seL4?
                  It's also opensource and has a lot of security around it

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Has this changed in this century? Please tell me where is this mythical place where there is no small number of people deciding what everybody else needs.
                    In the communist block this was definitely true. A relatively small number of people (dozens, at most hundreds) literally decided what the needs of the economy were. The rest would implement the plan.

In a setup where there's competition (not just the free market, but also free software world where typically no money is exchanged), the design and features of a product are still done by a committee, but such committee needs to pay attention to the consumers/end users, otherwise, people end up ignoring such product. E.g., GNU hurd.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
                      In the communist block this was definitely true. A relatively small number of people (dozens, at most hundreds) literally decided what the needs of the economy were. The rest would implement the plan.

In a setup where there's competition (not just the free market, but also free software world where typically no money is exchanged), the design and features of a product are still done by a committee, but such committee needs to pay attention to the consumers/end users, otherwise, people end up ignoring such product. E.g., GNU hurd.
                      heh, the committee can get pretty far even without paying attention to consumer/end users too, especially in government and businness sector.
                      The reasons something gets ignored are more because of PR reasons and timing of introduction than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X