Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.10 Moving Ahead In Restricting Access To dmesg

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.10 Moving Ahead In Restricting Access To dmesg

Following the discussions last month over restricting access to dmesg / kernel logs on Ubuntu in matching the behavior of other Linux distributions for better security practices, Ubuntu 20.10 indeed is moving forward with these plans where dmesg access would require root privileges...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You know what this decision will actually lead to? People will start using sudo for pretty much everything without thinking. If anything, limitations like this make security worse, not better. There's very little [security] info that can be picked from dmesg and then lots of data is still available using /proc, /sys and various kernel APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      You know what this decision will actually lead to? People will start using sudo for pretty much everything without thinking. If anything, limitations like this make security worse, not better. There's very little [security] info that can be picked from dmesg and then lots of data is still available using /proc, /sys and various kernel APIs.
      It's also about restricting access to sensitive information that shouldn't be available for non-admin users. This is crucial in the context of security and it always part of any hardening guide.

Next to that, using sudo for everything is actually better thing, because all sudo uses are logged and can be part of an audit process, in comparison to su. At that point questions can arise like: why did that user access those logs and kernel information? And necessary action can be taken to investigate/modify access.

Comment

This one Canonical Ubuntu 20.10 inner family is one of three "temporary" Ubuntu's before the next Ubuntu LTS, 22.04. There are also the 21.04 & 21.10 editions ahead. These Ubuntu's are downstream from the Debian editions. There are even many more Linux operating systems that are further downstream from the small number of the inner Canonical Ubuntu family.
        Of special interest is which of these very many Ubuntu downstreamers will also include these Ubuntu 20.10 innovations? These downstreamers try to be more innovative, more adventurous than the big name "Canonical conservatives" upon which they are based. Mint 20.04 is the biggest of these Ubuntu outsiders. It has added many innovations. Which if any of these will make it into which of the official future Canonicals?
        Last edited by gregzeng; 03 July 2020, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post

It's also about restricting access to sensitive information that shouldn't be available for non-admin users. This is crucial in the context of security and it always part of any hardening guide.

Next to that, using sudo for everything is actually better thing, because all sudo uses are logged and can be part of an audit process, in comparison to su. At that point questions can arise like: why did that user access those logs and kernel information? And necessary action can be taken to investigate/modify access.
          1. It's trivial to create an audit policy which will log dmesg invocations by the user.
          2. Enlighten me as to what "sensitive information" can be picked up from dmesg which is impossible to get by other means aside from maybe iptables/nftables logging which is not even enabled by default in Ubuntu.

Again what is "crucial in the context of security and it always part of any hardening guide" - I keep hearing that again and again, and so far I haven't seen a single example of anything "crucial" in dmesg.

Speaking of "hardening guides". Many of them are outright idiotic, for instance they insist on changing your passwords regularly. Why would you do that? It's never been proven to be effective against anything and at the same time people who are forced to change their passwords regularly start creating simple passwords and putting them in text files on their desktop. Good passwords which haven't been leaked/revealed/hacked are OK to use for eternity. Period.

Comment

Speaking of "hardening guides". Many of them are outright idiotic, for instance they insist on changing your passwords regularly. Why would you do that? It's never been proven to be effective against anything and at the same time people who are forced to change their passwords regularly start creating simple passwords and putting them in text files on their desktop. Good passwords which haven't been leaked/revealed/hacked are OK to use for eternity. Period.
            Because good passwords get leaked/revealed/hacked all the time?
            Just kidding :'D

Comment

Every change breaks someone's workflow, in this case yours. Don't try to generalise your pet peeve into a global problem.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

Every change breaks someone's workflow, in this case yours. Don't try to generalise your pet peeve into a global problem.
                Mine is not affected as I use Fedora which hasn't yet engaged in this security theatre idiocy.

Comment

Again what is "crucial in the context of security and it always part of any hardening guide" - I keep hearing that again and again, and so far I haven't seen a single example of anything "crucial" in dmesg.
                  This is all public information readily accessible

"The kernel syslog contains debugging information that is often useful during exploitation of other vulnerabilities, such as kernel heap addresses"

This kconfig option was introduced and merged for a reason

Comment

Mine is not affected as I use Fedora which hasn't yet engaged in this security theatre idiocy.
                    I think that Fedora and every other distribution will soon follow Ubuntu's lead and restrict access to dmesg.

Comment

Working...
                    X