OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 Released With AI/ML Packages Added, YaST Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Michael OpenSUSE doesn’t come with a default desktop anymore.

Source: Recent updates on wikis and I just downloaded the DVD-iso and checked. No default.
    This must disappoint you as that's one well-known distribution dropping *default* support for your precious GNOME desktop.

Comment

starshipeleven OpenSUSE GNOME comes with Wayland as default. No need to blame Nvidia.
      Not sure how that helps running Wayland on NVIDIA.

Comment

DanL Calm down would you? Go read the mailing lists including the engineering reports on the merger between SUSE and OpenSUSE packages. They plan further work on the desktop
        There is no discussion about deciding a default desktop and it's completely tangential to the main reasons they merging. OpenSUSE wants to reduce support efforts by reusing stuff that is already supported by SUSE engineers, because they want to devote KDE the right amount of effort.

Comment

Vistaus You should calm down too.
          You should not tell people what they should do. It should be rude

Comment

DanL Calm down would you?
            LOL you keep telling me to calm down when there's no indication I am "excited" in my post. (Do you see any caps lock or exclamation points?)
            And even if I'm not "calm", maybe that's because you write infuriatingly stupid shit and constantly derail topics (like this one)...

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
              I wonder why they use Gnome for their enterprise SUSE desktop and KDE for the openSUSE version. Their KDE implementation is great, so why they and other companies not using KDE in their commercial desktop versions?
              GNOME is simpler and so easier to support.

Comment

144hz telling everyone to calm down reminds me of my favorite movie - The Big Lebowski.
                The Dude: Just take it easy, man.
                Walter: I'm perfectly calm, Dude.
                The Dude: Yeah? Wavin' the f'in' gun around?!
                Walter: Calmer than you are.
                The Dude: Will you just take it easy?
                Walter: Calmer than you are.

Comment

starshipeleven You know very well that SUSE got a desktop group working on the merger.
                  It's not about desktop environments, it's about desktop general usecase.

You know, "desktop" as in "not server".

Comment

Originally posted by danl View Post
                    lol you keep telling me to calm down when there's no indication i am "excited" in my post. (do you see any caps lock or exclamation points?)
                    and even if i'm not "calm", maybe that's because you write infuriatingly stupid shit and constantly derail topics (like this one)...
                    stop resisting!!!!!

Comment

The reasons why SUSE uses Gnome, is because the enterprise versions often lengthen the support and KDE does not want to do it besides Lts, also in the enterprise environment the DE is irrelevant and in any case it is not provided with a Gnome Shell session, but a Gnome session similar to that used by Red Hat.
                      It has already been explained many times to DE war soldiers that openSUSE tries to offer the best Gnome, the best KDE etc. will be the users to choose and at the moment it seems that KDE is the most popular. openSUSE has always had excellent KDE maintainers who do a great job, it is one of the few distributions that treats KDE as first-class DE, regardless of whether there is a check mark on KDE or anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X