OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 Released With AI/ML Packages Added, YaST Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
    I wonder why they use Gnome for their enterprise SUSE desktop and KDE for the openSUSE version. Their KDE implementation is great, so why they and other companies not using KDE in their commercial desktop versions?
    Not ture, there is no default DE on openSUSE.

Comment

I'm gonna need a 10 ft stick for this thread.

And dammit if that isn't the perfect 10 ft stick for discussing distribution defaults.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        stop resisting!!!!!
        Calm down!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          starshipeleven You know very well that SUSE got a desktop group working on the merger. The discussions haven’t happened yet and that makes a lot of sense. 15.2 need to go before they do more actions that might cause further backlash.
          The merger will NOT get rid of KDE, and it will not change the default desktop to GNOME. OK?!?!

Comment

DanL Calm down would you? Go read the mailing lists including the engineering reports on the merger between SUSE and OpenSUSE packages. They plan further work on the desktop
            NO! I WILL NOT CALM DOWN!

All you want is to freaking kill KDE and be super happy about it, in the most dumb, world-dom style, FREAKING way!!!

Like MAKING US CALM DOWN so that we just let your freaking crap get in :l
            I am tired of it! WHAT IN THE HELL is the problem!!!!!

There is no problem! GNOME is GNOME and KDE is KDE, OK?!
            Let them both live, and leave everything in peace. You want to use GNOME? OK, good. But don't use that as a freaking excuse to kill KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
              I wonder why they use Gnome for their enterprise SUSE desktop and KDE for the openSUSE version. Their KDE implementation is great, so why they and other companies not using KDE in their commercial desktop versions?
              KDE is mostly community-backed, with little corporate support. That's why SLE uses GNOME.

Comment

Vistaus You should calm down too. OpenSUSE used to come with KDE as default. That was changed years ago. Just recently it got updated in the documentation. SUSE comes with GNOME and Wayland support is now a hard requirement.
                One more "calm down" and I am going insane. Just freaking leave already.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  144hz telling everyone to calm down reminds me of my favorite movie - The Big Lebowski.
                  The Dude: Just take it easy, man.
                  Walter: I'm perfectly calm, Dude.
                  The Dude: Yeah? Wavin' the f'in' gun around?!
                  Walter: Calmer than you are.
                  The Dude: Will you just take it easy?
                  Walter: Calmer than you are.
                  You know what it reminds me of?

World domination plans. Apparently they are nice to you, but then they stab you when they already got you.

Like pop music. It was nice for a time, but then they dumbed it down to the point they turned them into monkeys that would do anything, even if stupid, to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    The reasons why SUSE uses Gnome, is because the enterprise versions often lengthen the support and KDE does not want to do it besides Lts,
                    Nope, that is not correct. Not the reason or that Gnome has any kind of lengthen support, they are just like KDE in that regards, just LTS.
                    The use of Gnome in SUSE is a historical thing, from even before the term LTS was commonly used.

Back when SUSE was owned by Novell, they bought a Gnome company, Ximian and one of it's founders Nat Friedman ended up in a leading position at SUSE/Novell. Due to him and others from Ximian (And I guess support from some others in Novell management, as a way to defend the not so great acquisition), they changed default to Gnome. They also tried to change the default in OpenSUSE, but the massive push-back from users and developers stopped it. As a way to save face and still push their unwanted agenda, it ended up with the lame compromise "no default at install" solution still present today. In reality, as everyone know, the default for the OpenSUSE userbase is still KDE.
                    Last edited by Morty; 02 July 2020, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

One more "calm down" and I am going insane. Just freaking leave already.
                      He's super annoying, but why do you care? He's only a poor troll.
                      Prove him wrong when he blatantly lies, if you've got time to spare.
                      It's not like his crusade is going to make any sort of difference anywhere or anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X