Fedora Developers Discussing Possibility Of Dropping Legacy BIOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Keep in mind, it is a public mailing list and anyone can post ideas. This is a volunteer contributor posting his personal idea. If it is popular and people don't see a problem, it may get implemented. Quite frequently on changes like this, people point out issues and it gets shot down. I wouldn't freak out just because an idea gets posted in a list. If you have something useful to contribute, feel free to participate though
    Has the rest of the Fedora community pushed back on this, then? If not, then it becomes a representative opinion of the Fedora community. And they keep floating stupid ideas like this. I've been using Fedora since before it was Fedora--sometime in the late 90s. I've bought merch, helped support people on their IRC channel, filed bug reports, etc. But seeing them ponder things like this makes me just want to end it all. It's an abusive relationship that I just won't tolerate anymore.

Can anyone recommend a good distro that supports XFCE well and has a sane package management system(no source based distros)?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post

Yes indeed. I am reading a bit about the UEFI part. I think it was not visible because it has no EFI partition and is a old style install.
      Ya you're gonna be repartitioning and reformatting that drive there, bucko.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

has the rest of the fedora community pushed back on this, then? If not, then it becomes a representative opinion of the fedora community. And they keep floating stupid ideas like this. I've been using fedora since before it was fedora--sometime in the late 90s. I've bought merch, helped support people on their irc channel, filed bug reports, etc. But seeing them ponder things like this makes me just want to end it all. It's an abusive relationship that i just won't tolerate anymore.

Can anyone recommend a good distro that supports xfce well and has a sane package management system(no source based distros)?
        wsl2?

Comment

I boot UEFI exclusively and at least Xubuntu has no problem switching between the CSM and pure UEFI when the bios is reset.
          I also tend to enable secure boot. Luckily Xubunutu handled that quite well too.

In general we need to start dropping legacy subsystems to improve. I hate Apple but admire their ability to just drop legacy cruft at the drop of a hat. I think a balance between Apples reckless abandonment of working standards and Microsoft refusal to abandon long superceded standards is needed for Linux and the general Processor ecosystem to make forward progress.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Read your manual. This is common behavior in modern AMD mobos. If you populate the NVMe slots, some of the SATA connectors will not be available.
            I specifically bought this board because it supports 1 NVME and 6 SATA simultaneous. And when I enable CSM, it sees everything. So that's not the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Fabbro View Post

wsl2?
              I don't think I like this new person. :P

Comment

if was Canonical proposing this... since is Fedora who nobody uses nobody cares

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  I don't think Fedora devs need to worry about too many people trying to install their distro on a legacy system. Older systems, if they would run at all with modern Fedora, would run painfully slowly.
                  Define your words please.

Do you have in mind some Pentium MMX system on socket 5? Because I've got a dual core AMD Phenom system with an Asus board that has BIOS, and its lightning fast in general use on fedora 32.

Some people would say AM3 qualifies as "legacy", but if that is true then "painfully slow" is a gross misstatement for a legacy system. These are fast computers.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Has the rest of the Fedora community pushed back on this, then? If not, then it becomes a representative opinion of the Fedora community.
                    I mean you can read the public mailing list threads to see the opinions. There is "no rest of Fedora community here". There is no group think. Again it is a public mailing list, literally anyone can post in it including people who are not contributors at all. I don't see how that is representative of anything really.

Comment

Linux community as a whole discussing the possibility of dropping distribution dictators like Red Hat (CentOS, Fedora).

(hey, I can create chaos just as well....)

Comment

Working...
                      X