Fedora Developers Discussing Possibility Of Dropping Legacy BIOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Developers Discussing Possibility Of Dropping Legacy BIOS Support

Phoronix: Fedora Developers Discussing Possibility Of Dropping Legacy BIOS Support

Fedora stakeholders are debating the merits of potentially ending legacy BIOS support for the Linux distribution and to only support UEFI-based installations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora always has the best plumbing of implementation details like this.

Comment

I don't really see the problem. If push comes to shove, you can run an EFI on a legacy system - that's how Hackintoshes work on legacy systems.

Comment

omg but I think the decision will be very stupid. I myself have two working PCs that I still use BIOS.
        For me, Fedora has been pushing stupid ideas lately.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
          omg but I think the decision will be very stupid. I myself have two working PCs that I still use BIOS.
          For me, Fedora has been pushing stupid ideas lately.
          They often suggest stuff like this, just to gauge the reaction. If they just have a poll, no one replies. If they threaten to remove stuff, everyone replies. I doubt they'll actually do it.

Comment

Is this more about shifting to systemd-boot than it is about dropping BIOS support?

And that 2005 argument isn't the best since my 16 core 2010 system came with a BIOS. This seems more political than practical at this point; especially since there isn't a defined and agreed upon manner to handle legacy BIOS systems nor was there even a proposal to handle them. If we can all agree on something like rEFInd or Coreboot+Seabios, cool beans, but until then....I dunno, seems like the better question would be "How do we get systemd-boot onto legacy systems so we can drop GRUB and streamline the Fedora experience?".

Comment

There's still machines with BIOS that are viable. My dual-socket Opteron is a little power hungry but can compile Linux 5.4.x in about 7 and a half minutes. I hope they keep BIOS/legacy booting around until I can afford a Threadripper upgrade

Comment

This is 100% asinine and should be abandoned for at least 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  This is 100% asinine and should be abandoned for at least 5 years.
                  sure, why not make it difficult if it could have just worked ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

They often suggest stuff like this, just to gauge the reaction. If they just have a poll, no one replies. If they threaten to remove stuff, everyone replies. I doubt they'll actually do it.
                    Keep in mind, it is a public mailing list and anyone can post ideas. This is a volunteer contributor posting his personal idea. If it is popular and people don't see a problem, it may get implemented. Quite frequently on changes like this, people point out issues and it gets shot down. I wouldn't freak out just because an idea gets posted in a list. If you have something useful to contribute, feel free to participate though

Comment

Working...
                    X