Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" Released - Based On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" Released - Based On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" is shipping this weekend as the newest major release to this user-friendly desktop Linux distribution derived from the Ubuntu LTS package set...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this seems rushed. only 2 weeks of beta? well best way to test it is to release it as a final product

Comment

I'm interested to know how they intend to support the Chromium browser on Mint since upstream Ubuntu is supporting it via Snapd and Mint has removed support for Snapd. I don't mind installing the Google Chrome repo, but there's a lot of people who will want to stick with the stock package sources. Not having updates for Chromium will present a serious problem for users on the go, who may be connecting to insecure hotspots. Firefox's Hungry Hungry Hippo battery consumption isn't really an option.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
        I'm interested to know how they intend to support the Chromium browser on Mint since upstream Ubuntu is supporting it via Snapd and Mint has removed support for Snapd. I don't mind installing the Google Chrome repo, but there's a lot of people who will want to stick with the stock package sources. Not having updates for Chromium will present a serious problem for users on the go, who may be connecting to insecure hotspots. Firefox's Hungry Hungry Hippo battery consumption isn't really an option.
        Looks like they're building it themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Lol.

Empty package
          Chromium-browser is no longer available as a package in the repository, but only as a snap. Linux Mint does not support snap and will not let packages install snap behind your back. This is an empty package. It can safely be removed. For up to date information on how to install Chromium, visit https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthe...ium.html.Empty package
          Chromium-browser is no longer available as a package in the repository, but only as a snap. Linux Mint does not support snap and will not let packages install snap behind your back. This is an empty package. It can safely be removed. For up to date information on how to install Chromium, visit https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/chromium.html."
          Makes you wonder why they don't provide a package since it is supposed to be "oh so easy"...

Comment

I liked Linux Mint, but then I discovered the best desktop environment for me (KDE Plasma).
            Too bad that at the same time they decided to drop it so I had no option than to ditch them.
            As long as Linux Mint doesn't have a native KDE plasma version, I will not be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              this seems rushed. only 2 weeks of beta? well best way to test it is to release it as a final product
              The base used is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, good quality sw already; that may explain why they can have beta stage finished in 2wks.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                Try other browsers like vivadi I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Lol.
                  Heh. Is it that obvious that all I did was browse their packages?

Makes you wonder why they don't provide a package since it is supposed to be "oh so easy"...
                  I don't find PPAs to be easy or convenient in the long run....they're just a way to run into dependency hell with Ubuntu and Friends. But "here, y'all can pick some dev builds from another OS provided by some random people or something old from yet another OS" are crappy alternatives....especially when they go and say crap like this about Snaps:

Only use this store if you trust both Canonical and the maintainers of the snaps you install. Similar to proprietary software, software delivered by and code run by the Snap Store cannot be audited or modified. This store is disabled in Linux Mint 20.x. For more information read Snap Store.
                  So y'all want to point out how a random app store may be untrustworthy and yet suggest users to pick dev build PPAs? Am I the only person thinking that's some retarded logic? Da, da, da...I get the whole we can't vet snaps argument, but y'all might as well be telling the average person not to be using Steam or Epic because we can't vet our games' sources...

Wait, does this make Firefox the only web browser available on Mint? If that's the case Mint has all the bits necessary for someone to come up with a Linux version of a Microsoft Antitrust IE joke.

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post

The base used is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, good quality sw already; that may explain why they can have beta stage finished in 2wks.
                    i was not worry about ubuntu, but about their own software on top of "ubuntu". i use cinnamon and i already found a weird bug in nemo while installing mint cinnamon. so yeah 2 weeks are not enough. and the bug is also there after updating the system. its strange that the same bug is not present on arch cinnamon. if you wonder what is the bug about? well quicksearch in nemo does not reset the text even after changing folders or pressing escape to cancel it.

Comment

Working...
                    X