Fedora Developers Restart Talk Over Using Nano As The Default Text Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

That doesn't cover the use case of remote editing over SSH (or a serial port) though. So you'd still need a default TUI editor.
    Fedora is a workstation/laptop distro. In a default out of the box install such machines don't and shouldn't even have a SSH server.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Fedora is a workstation/laptop distro. In a default out of the box install such machines don't and shouldn't even have a SSH server.
      No it's not. Even the old Fedora project leader said on these forums a while back that some large orgs are using it as a server distro. Also, even desktop machines need to use a text console sometimes, for example in rescue mode, where a text editor is extremely useful.

Just because you have preconceived notions of what Fedora is and only live inside a GUI, doesn't mean everyone else is the same.

Comment

I use a lot nano, even to program. Anything that defaults to vi gets changed right away to nano.
        At some point I did know how to use emacs, but it's been such a long time now I don't know why I gave it up for nano. I clearly remember why I dislike vi though. but maybe using it for a decade or more would have been enough to get used to it.

Comment

`ed` is the standard Unix text editor.

Repent and export EDITOR='ed'

Comment

Nano should be the default. When a new person enters the shell they need something simple, if you have enough knowledge to be upset about the choice you have enough knowledge to load what you want, make it the default, and still have time to yell at the kids to get off of your lawn.

Comment

What is actually meant is "for Windows users coming over". Of course, it also means that Fedora needs to switch to using .Net/Mono (just saying).

Comment

I always remove nano from every machine I administer, and have done so for two decades. I don't want to risk its automatic hard line wrapping corrupting configuration files, and having to use "nano -w" every time gets old really fast (not to mention that other programs which call $EDITOR won't add the "-w" for me).

Comment

edlin.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                    Fedora should offer flatpaks for "default editor"
                    distro offer packages. editor authors offer flatpaks. you are too dumb to understand such trivial things

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                      And what a memorable day it is, when an expert launches the cli for the first time.
                      he already has EDITOR set, only crazy people edit in vi

Comment

Working...
                      X