Fedora Developers Restart Talk Over Using Nano As The Default Text Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Developers Restart Talk Over Using Nano As The Default Text Editor

Phoronix: Fedora Developers Restart Talk Over Using Nano As The Default Text Editor

Fedora developers are once again discussing a proposal on switching to Nano as the default text editor on Fedora systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nano: easy for the typical user; hard for the programmer.
    Vim: easy for the programmer; hard for the typical user.

Vi is not an option, as it has a bug which causes it to crash (endless "At EOF") when pressing Ctrl-C while doing a merge commit.

Comment

I am stuck and cannot escape. It says: type :quit<Enter> to quit VIM But when I type that it simply appears in the object body.

Asked 7 years, 10 months ago / Active 15 days ago / Viewed 2.1m times

Any questions?

Comment

Too bad there isn't an easy way for users to resolve this horrible dilemma, like "dnf install nano" or something....

Besides which Joe is what they really should be using.

Comment

I've coded for years, but nano is still my favorite. nano can be configured to look and work very well, with line numbers, syntax highlighting and all that, and it doesn't require a five-minute tutorial on how to exit, write, insert text, etc. I know a lot of folks who love vi and vim, but I am not one of them...it's never worked well with my silly brain.

Comment

I disagree with Nano being an easy to use editor. Easy Editor or ee on BSD systems is the perfect user friendly editor that easily explains how to exit and save files. Nano's control commands are easy to use, but if you don't know what the symbols in the menu mean then you are just a clueless as someone dropped into vi.

Comment

Debating over the default text editor does little to inspire confidence in the project. It is a user settable, and people who use command line should be expert users so know how to set their own default. Non techie users will use GUI start menu to find their text editor under "text editors". Most GUI text editors make a good default since most follow the same paradigm. Projects which argue over stuff like this seem to be the most capable of improving other things. Take a look at the Fedora default GUI, useless rubbish, where you cant configure anything.

All that aside, VIM is ridiculous for even some programmers to use. It is such an odd and esoteric text editor that I think many people learn it because they are told "they should" rather than it being intuitive and functional for them from the get go.

Comment

Fedora should offer flatpaks for "default editor" ... So they can offer a 50kb fiatpak file, that inherits 900mb of runtime

Comment

Candy - "Fedora should offer flatpaks for "default editor" ... So they can offer a 50kb fiatpak file, that inherits 900mb of runtime " -- This is a great idea. And the editor they package with flatpak should definitely require systemd and pulseaudio as hard dependencies.

Comment

Time waste around useless dilemma: average Joe coming from Windows/macOS does not even open the terminal.

Comment

Working...
                    X