Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Investing In Modularity And Will Support It Where It Makes Sense For RHEL 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Investing In Modularity And Will Support It Where It Makes Sense For RHEL 9

Phoronix: Red Hat Investing In Modularity And Will Support It Where It Makes Sense For RHEL 9

Red Hat continues to invest in the modularity concept for packaging and will be embracing it "where it most makes sense" for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wasn't aware of Modularity. Nice project. I hope it gets into the desktop land too.

Comment

Originally posted by guiaiolfi View Post
      I wasn't aware of Modularity. Nice project. I hope it gets into the desktop land too.
      Do you mean outside of RHEL 8 and Fedora 28+?

Comment

Wait a sec, I thought everybody knew Fedora is the testbed of next major RHEL release....

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          Wait a sec, I thought everybody knew Fedora is the testbed of next major RHEL release....
          This is specifically about using ELN as a testbed since Fedora and RHEL has diverged quite a bit otherwise

Comment

i cant see this being a Huge hit, specially in Fedora, https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...SKL2IUHDUPB26/ going by igor's 2nd post an there maybe others that state this to be a total nightmare

Comment

Containers have taken over a lot of use cases for Modularity, it was a good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                Containers have taken over a lot of use cases for Modularity, it was a good though.
                Modularity and AppStream is a non-trivial aspect to Red Hat container strategy. It allows end users to create images using RHEL, but not being limited to whatever the original RHEL shipped with. Like with RHEL 8, you can choose from multiple versions of Postgres, Python, Node, etc available from Red Hat repos to be used in the image and be supported by Red Hat. You're no longer stuck with just one version of the software, or do extra workarounds to the the SCLs to load as the streams install into standard userspace. On the desktop it's a bit more finicky because you can't install side-by-side versions of the same software (except Python, they are separate modules), but it allows you to make targeted containers much more easily.

The one exception to this 'ease-of-use' is Node, because for some reason (and I do not like the answer they gave me), the Node 10 stream is pre-activated with npm installed (which pulls in nodejs) in all images as they are the extensions of s2i-base: https://catalog.redhat.com/software/...abs=dockerfile

So if you want to use Node 12, you have to remove/reset the Node stream, then reinstall it. And the Node.JS 10 image reinstalls some of those very same packages:

ubi8/nodejs-10: https://catalog.redhat.com/software/...abs=dockerfile
                ubi8/nodejs-12: https://catalog.redhat.com/software/...abs=dockerfile

Cheers,
                Mike
                Last edited by mroche; 19 June 2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  just as debian is the testbed of next major ubuntu release?

Comment

Working...
                  X