Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 May 2020 Performance For WSL vs. WSL2

Phoronix: Windows 10 May 2020 Performance For WSL vs. WSL2

For those curious about the performance of Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) with the recently released Windows 10 May 2020 Update, here are benchmarks of Ubuntu 20.04 on both WSL and WSL2 compared to the bare metal Ubuntu 20.04 LTS performance on the same system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So these results mean that developers will now stay on windows and use linux within it and just deploy to linux servers which will further destroy desktop linux marketshare?
    Last edited by TheOne; 17 June 2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      So these results mean that developers will now stay on windows and use linux within it and just deploy to linux servers which will further destroy desktop linux marketshare?
      The exodus from Linux to Windows and fall in Linux marketshare is largely due to the GNOME standard desktop environment

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

The exodus from Linux to Windows and fall in Linux marketshare is largely due to the GNOME standard desktop environment
        And people still think that it's just a coincidence that Canonical chose it as the default DE for Ubuntu, when better alternatives existed (Cinnamon, KDE) and now they are best friends with Microsoft.
        Microsoft with its money corrupts everything.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

the fall? the linux marketshare is bigger than ever and most of ppl are using ubuntu.

KDE is confusion and a mess, cinnamon is only a clone from windows slow like hell

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

And people still think that it's just a coincidence that Canonical chose it as the default DE for Ubuntu, when better alternatives existed (Cinnamon, KDE) and now they are best friends with Microsoft.
            Microsoft with its money corrupts everything.
            There's no evidence that MS gave money to Canonical to move to gnome. Your conspiracy theory doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the fall? the linux marketshare is bigger than ever and most of ppl are using ubuntu.

KDE is confusion and a mess, cinnamon is only a clone from windows slow like hell
              I think KDE can be made into the best DE Linux has to offer, it could even be better than Win10, while offering a very similar look and feel. It's just that for a very long time every new KDE version came out buggy as hell with a bunch of half-finished features. I really think the project can benefit a lot from a very strict design manager and a small team of paid devs with a focus on producing a very minimal and well tested core experience. Obviously that will never happen because KDE is a community project, which is why I suspect we've gotten so many new qt-based desktop environments in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by frank007

In my opinion, Gnome (and the Gtk3/4/etc.) and Wayland and Systemd are to brake the Linux world. Choises mean freedom, one means tiranny.
                Sounds like Linux DE were going strong before those things were proposed.
                Only in your dream.

The unwelcoming fact is, no matter how your "F R E E D O M!" fanbois are trying to lure the common ppl into Linux, new users only want a polished DE to flatten their learning curve, but no, you fanbois are more interested in such philosophical debates rather than improving user experiences (UX).

OSS communities are not Big Tech Giants. They only have very limited resources.
                The more you spent human resources to some direction unrelated to UX, the less attractive the software product is to new comers.

Comment

I'm not so sure. As poor as the quality has been on Win10, I don't think anyone is in love with it. Windows OS has never been tops in terms of stability, but it appears to have peaked with Windows 7. Windows 10 is a buggy crashy mess in comparison. The fact that Microsoft all but eliminated their internal Windows test lab and test team means things likely won't improve in the foreseeable future.

Comment

I'm afraid that Microsoft will soon introduce something to try locking developer inside WSL so they'll start deploying WSL on the servers (or just make it very convenient).
                    As much as I hate Microsoft, I have to recognize that their strategy at the moment is actually damn good.

Comment

Working...
                    X