CentOS 8 Rebased Against RHEL 8.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    Fedora only serves as the beta version of RHEL x+1.0, and RH needs a beta version of RHEL x.y+1.
    I'm guessing this is why they are pushing "community".
    The only problem with this is that the CentOS release schedule is always after the equivalent RHEL release. What is the point in a beta which comes after the released product?

I suppose CentOS "Stream" could be viewed as a beta, but it's more a rolling release type affair, so doesn't really fit the mould.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post
      Problem seems limited to intel CPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
        My CentOS Stream still runs GNOME 3.32 after I updated it - does the new release not upgrade GNOME shell or does Stream lag behind?
        Red Hat did not upgrade 8.2 to use a newer GNOME environment.

The microcode issue people are running into is very interesting, is it just Skylake? My personal workstation (Broadwell) took the 8.2 update a while ago pretty well. Even then the microcode scripts part hung for a little longer than I would have liked but completed. I’ll have to check the generations we have on our HP/Dell servers here but we’ve upgraded several of them during testing to 7.8 including the .6 microcode update (pretty sure) with seemingly no issues. Will need to re-verify that, though.

Cheers,
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Actually not a surprise to me.
          This is not the first time Intel's microcode updates messed up its customers, and it seems they screwed up again.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Yes, sounds like the microcode hang on Skylake for SRBDS mitigation. Debian already reverted that microcode update.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
              They push "community" so hard now because... well, to be honest, I can't really see a good reason. I presume marketing, because right now everything seems to be better when done by "a community"...
              Not only marketing. Look at the way the community always bashed Ubuntu for doing "their own thing". RedHat on the other hand successfully creates the picture of them working together with the community rather than going their own ways, when in fact they have complete control over those projects and repeatedly reinvent the wheel to keep it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
                Not only marketing. Look at the way the community always bashed Ubuntu for doing "their own thing". RedHat on the other hand successfully creates the picture of them working together with the community rather than going their own ways, when in fact they have complete control over those projects and repeatedly reinvent the wheel to keep it that way.
                No, that's still marketing, just more subtle than, say, a Coca-Cola advert blasting over the Superbowl.

Marketing is just influencing the narrative. I understand why some people don't like Canonical's way of doing things (I really don't like the whole ethos of the snap ecosystem, for example) but RedHat became a billion-dollar company through the same practices as every other billion dollar company - you could argue they had to be even more driven, as their business model was taking something that is free and making people pay for it (although really what you pay for is support).

Comment

Centos (Stream) may become a proper community distro in the future, but it is not there yet.

Where the centos community lies is not on the OS layer but applications built on top of it.

Many application developers target centos as the base OS and from there either forward port it to Fedora or to other distros. This is where the community lies. The re-implementation of RHEL is more of a Red Hat thing, which is not a bad thing - they employed the people that they saw had good skill and expertise and allowed them to continue what they were doing anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X