Ubuntu Is Working On Much Faster Hibernation/Resume Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

This is one of the reasons why I do most of my work in VMs. Just save state and power down. Why Firefox doesn't allow you to save tabs when exiting normally when it automatically does so when you kill -9 it, is beyond my comprehension. Every time I reboot my desktop, I kill -9 firefox first. Recovers nicely.
    Actually, restore previous session works seamlessly.
    And when shutting down or rebooting, it hard forces Firefox to be killed. So the next time you power up, you will get your tabs back.

It's so reliable I still have tabs I opened 2+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Nickel? I'll bet most of you can't even afford the stuff I have at home.

Desktop 1: Celeron E1200 with 4GB memory, 500GB hitachi Deskstar HDD, iGPU *failed, scrapped*
      Desktop 2: Athlon 7750X2 with 4GB memory, 500GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD, Asus Radeon 3450HD *failed, scrapped*
      Desktop 3: Phenom II x3 720 with 8GB memory, 1 TB WD Blue HDD, Radeon HD 4200 iGPU on motherboard *retired*
      Desktop 4: i7-6700 with 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Samsung Evo, 1x 8TB Seagate HDD, iGPU *active*
      Desktop 5: Dual Xeon E52690v2 with 128GB ECC memory, 4x 8TB Seagate HDDs, Asus Nvidia GT610 GPU *active*
      Desktop 6: Threadripper 2990wx with 128GB memory, 4x 4TB Samsung EVO 860 SSDs, Asus R7-240 GPU *active*

All self-built with no proprietary drivers

Laptop 1: Acer Aspire 5735Z *retired*
      Laptop 2: Acer Aspire 6530G *retired*
      Laptop 3: Dell Latitude E6430 *retired*
      Laptop 4: Dell Vostro 5480 *retired*
      Laptop 5: Acer v3-372 *retired*
      Laptop 6: Chinese Apollo Lake-powered laptop with 4k display *active*
      Laptop 7: Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*
      Laptop 8: Another Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*

No proprietary drivers. Suspend and hibernation never worked properly, stopped bothering.

So I'll wager I have more real computers than most people will ever own in their entire lifetime.
      man, relax! that was only an old quote, no need to list all of your equipment

PS: I have had at least 2 times your hardware, plus some actual serious hardware like a couple of Sun SPARC Station

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

That's awesome that it's a valid option for you. For me doing a reboot can be a major irritation to restore my prior session(each of the apps, their arrangement, the data and state they had, etc), anything that isn't immediately easy to save to disk is lost.

I can have 30-40 browser windows open, each with a bunch of tabs and organized acrossed virtual desktops for different things I'm working on that I hop between, that's lost if I reboot. Any browser tabs that I'm working on where I've got certain scroll positions with highlighted text or text input, can all be lost and if it's been a while I probably won't remember what that prior state was among a sea of tabs.
        Why would it be lost on reboot? Don't you have working session management?

This is another thing I love about Linux/X11. Proper working session management, so everything* comes back on reboot.

*) Minus buggy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Actually, restore previous session works seamlessly.
          And when shutting down or rebooting, it hard forces Firefox to be killed. So the next time you power up, you will get your tabs back.

It's so reliable I still have tabs I opened 2+ years ago.
          But how do you handle many windows? I prefer to use my window manager to manage windows, so I typically have 20-30 Firefox windows open, some with tabs and some without. The tab concept is so broken I won't even go into it.

When I "killall -u $(whoami) firefox -9", I get everything back the way it was when I restart Firefox, particularly important when Ubuntu upgrades Firefox in the background and Firefox suddenly stops working, telling me I have to restart it. When I close Firefox normally, I get to restore one window session and I don't get to choose which.

If, for some reason, they wanted to make me happy, they would do two things; 1) hide the tab bar when there's only one tab and 2) when closing a window, add an option to close all my Firefox windows' and save session.

Comment

When I "killall -u $(whoami) firefox -9", I get everything back the way it was when I restart Firefox
            Same here, in order to not lose the different windows I set an alias to kill my firefox session..

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
              Why redundant? I see hibernation purely as a means to save complex desktop sessions or application states that I wouldn't want to recreate manually. That's where it saves time, not at boot.
              I meant, boot is faster than recovering from hibernate, programs load fast and any tool you might be using is able to remember their last state.
              Sure, there are scenarios that are still better served by hibernation (e.g. when you have mapped network drives or otherwise pull lots of data over the network), but in general straight up loading the OS is faster and more trouble free.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I meant, boot is faster than recovering from hibernate,
                Yes.
                programs load fast and
                Mostly, but depends, as in your example.
                any tool you might be using is able to remember their last state.
                That is just not true. Only some can and then only to a limited extent. A browser might keep tab URLs, a local copy of the content in its cache and even scroll positions, but in fact it reloads (or rerenders) the contents, session logins or typed in text might get lost and depending on your settings the tabs are not restored until you choose them.
                in general straight up loading the OS is faster and more trouble free.
                And in general, feet are more reliable than tires. But sometimes you don't want to walk..

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
                  Same here, in order to not lose the different windows I set an alias to kill my firefox session..
                  I extrapolate that you're as bored as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Nickel? I'll bet most of you can't even afford the stuff I have at home.

Desktop 1: Celeron E1200 with 4GB memory, 500GB hitachi Deskstar HDD, iGPU *failed, scrapped*
                    Desktop 2: Athlon 7750X2 with 4GB memory, 500GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD, Asus Radeon 3450HD *failed, scrapped*
                    Desktop 3: Phenom II x3 720 with 8GB memory, 1 TB WD Blue HDD, Radeon HD 4200 iGPU on motherboard *retired*
                    Desktop 4: i7-6700 with 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Samsung Evo, 1x 8TB Seagate HDD, iGPU *active*
                    Desktop 5: Dual Xeon E52690v2 with 128GB ECC memory, 4x 8TB Seagate HDDs, Asus Nvidia GT610 GPU *active*
                    Desktop 6: Threadripper 2990wx with 128GB memory, 4x 4TB Samsung EVO 860 SSDs, Asus R7-240 GPU *active*

All self-built with no proprietary drivers

Laptop 1: Acer Aspire 5735Z *retired*
                    Laptop 2: Acer Aspire 6530G *retired*
                    Laptop 3: Dell Latitude E6430 *retired*
                    Laptop 4: Dell Vostro 5480 *retired*
                    Laptop 5: Acer v3-372 *retired*
                    Laptop 6: Chinese Apollo Lake-powered laptop with 4k display *active*
                    Laptop 7: Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*
                    Laptop 8: Another Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*

No proprietary drivers. Suspend and hibernation never worked properly, stopped bothering.

So I'll wager I have more real computers than most people will ever own in their entire lifetime.
                    Nice flex, but most of this list is garbage-class. Bet I can afford anything from the list maybe several times over (and nobody in their mind needs all this shit at once). So, to reiterate, here’s a nickel, go buy yourself a _real_ computer
                    Last edited by intelfx; 09 June 2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I extrapolate that you're as bored as I am.
                      More busy doing everything but what I should do - because that is boring.

Comment

Working...
                      X