Ubuntu Is Working On Much Faster Hibernation/Resume Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Hibernation and sleep has never worked on any laptop or desktop I have used ever since I started with desktop Linux 13 years ago. So anything related to it is considered 'non-news' to me.
    All it takes is one rogue driver and the whole functionality gets disabled. Been there, done that. But tbh, it works the same way on Windows, only there the drivers seem to be of better quality.

Comment

Will these patches be backported to Cannonical's fork of Linux Kernel 5.4 (Ubuntu LTS 20.04's kernel)?

Comment

Suspend work in some of my devices. On some they do not. I just tested it as I write this and worked with Kubuntu 20.04, on a Asrock FM2+ mobo, with Firefox and Chrome opened. EDIT: Also tested in a Thinkpad T430 and a crappy old Asus EEE PC and it also worked fine.

In the absence of hibernation, one option would be the "restore session" of some desktops, like KDE, but some apps simply misbehave and do not restore properly after launch.

With the quick product turnaround, were manufacturers try to come with something new every year, I had lost hope we will see well designed ACPI tables and whatnot, unless is something for the enterprise market and it cost a pretty penny. Consumer grade is crap. Always has been, always will be.
        Last edited by M@GOid; 09 June 2020, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Hibernation and sleep has never worked on any laptop or desktop I have used ever since I started with desktop Linux 13 years ago. So anything related to it is considered 'non-news' to me.
          Here's a nickel kid. Go buy yourself a real computer.

jokes apart, I've been using hibernation and susped for ages and it has always worked.
          currently it works perfectly on my 3 Thinkpads and on my office DELL, but, afaicr, it worked without glitches on all my previous hardware since at least 10 years (started with desktop Linux two decades ago)

are you using proprietary drivers (nvdia) or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

That's awesome that it's a valid option for you. For me doing a reboot can be a major irritation to restore my prior session(each of the apps, their arrangement, the data and state they had, etc), anything that isn't immediately easy to save to disk is lost.

I can have 30-40 browser windows open, each with a bunch of tabs and organized acrossed virtual desktops for different things I'm working on that I hop between, that's lost if I reboot. Any browser tabs that I'm working on where I've got certain scroll positions with highlighted text or text input, can all be lost and if it's been a while I probably won't remember what that prior state was among a sea of tabs.

This is one of the reasons why I do most of my work in VMs. Just save state and power down. Why Firefox doesn't allow you to save tabs when exiting normally when it automatically does so when you kill -9 it, is beyond my comprehension. Every time I reboot my desktop, I kill -9 firefox first. Recovers nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Faster hibernation would be quite nice, seeing as SSDs have made hibernate pretty much redundant.
              Why redundant? I see hibernation purely as a means to save complex desktop sessions or application states that I wouldn't want to recreate manually. That's where it saves time, not at boot.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Also, wth are the hibernating that it takes 51s?
              That should depend on the amount of RAM used and the write speed of the swap location. On my systems the time needed fits to that.

Comment

Hibernation and sleep has never worked on any laptop or desktop I have used ever since I started with desktop Linux 13 years ago.
                It surely depends on many factors, not only on the systems hardware but also the distribution used and probably kernel versions. It started working for me when I switched to Fedora in 2016, with a Thinkpad T420 and later a Ryzen 1700 desktop with X370/X470 boards. In the earlier years with Ubuntu or Mint on various hardware it didn't work for me, too.

So anything related to it is considered 'non-news' to me.
                Then why bother to comment?

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

Yeah, like a mac, they make excellent Unix laptops.

Kidding aside tho.. macOS like should be the target goal for suspend resume.. they have that down so pat.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

jokes apart, I've been using hibernation and susped for ages and it has always worked.
                    currently it works perfectly on my 3 Thinkpads and on my office DELL, but, afaicr, it worked without glitches on all my previous hardware since at least 10 years (started with desktop Linux two decades ago)

are you using proprietary drivers (nvdia) or something like that?
                    Nickel? I'll bet most of you can't even afford the stuff I have at home.

Desktop 1: Celeron E1200 with 4GB memory, 500GB hitachi Deskstar HDD, iGPU *failed, scrapped*
                    Desktop 2: Athlon 7750X2 with 4GB memory, 500GB Hitachi Deskstar HDD, Asus Radeon 3450HD *failed, scrapped*
                    Desktop 3: Phenom II x3 720 with 8GB memory, 1 TB WD Blue HDD, Radeon HD 4200 iGPU on motherboard *retired*
                    Desktop 4: i7-6700 with 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Samsung Evo, 1x 8TB Seagate HDD, iGPU *active*
                    Desktop 5: Dual Xeon E52690v2 with 128GB ECC memory, 4x 8TB Seagate HDDs, Asus Nvidia GT610 GPU *active*
                    Desktop 6: Threadripper 2990wx with 128GB memory, 4x 4TB Samsung EVO 860 SSDs, Asus R7-240 GPU *active*

All self-built with no proprietary drivers

Laptop 1: Acer Aspire 5735Z *retired*
                    Laptop 2: Acer Aspire 6530G *retired*
                    Laptop 3: Dell Latitude E6430 *retired*
                    Laptop 4: Dell Vostro 5480 *retired*
                    Laptop 5: Acer v3-372 *retired*
                    Laptop 6: Chinese Apollo Lake-powered laptop with 4k display *active*
                    Laptop 7: Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*
                    Laptop 8: Another Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*

No proprietary drivers. Suspend and hibernation never worked properly, stopped bothering.

So I'll wager I have more real computers than most people will ever own in their entire lifetime.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 09 June 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Nickel? I'll bet most of you can't even afford the stuff I have at home.

Desktop 1: Threadripper 2990wx with 128GB memory, 4x 4TB Samsung EVO 860 SSDs, Asus R7-240 GPU
                      Desktop 2: Dual Xeon E52690v2 with 128GB ECC memory, 4x 8TB Seagate HDDs, Asus Nvidia GT610 GPU
                      Desktop 3: i7-6700 with 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Samsung Evo, 1x 8TB Seagate HDD, iGPU
                      All self-built with no proprietary drivers

Laptop 1: Acer Aspire 5735Z *retired*
                      Laptop 2: Acer Aspire 6530G *retired*
                      Laptop 3: Dell Latitude E6430 *retired*
                      Laptop 4: Dell Vostro 5480 *retired*
                      Laptop 5: Acer v3-372 *retired*
                      Laptop 6: Chinese Apollo Lake-powered laptop with 4k display *active*
                      Laptop 7: Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*
                      Laptop 8: Another Chinese Gemini Lake-powered laptop *active*

No proprietary drivers. Suspend and hibernation never worked properly, stopped bothering.

So I'll wager I have more real computers than most people will ever own in their entire lifetime.
                      Of the 3 computers I tested this morning, all 3 suspended and resumed normally. Either I'm the luckiest bastard of this side of the Kernel or you are the unluckiest ...

So what distro do you use? Maybe that is the cause of your problems with suspend. Doesn't hurt to take a look at the other side of the fence.

Comment

Working...
                      X