No announcement yet.

Devuan 3.0 Released For Debian 10 Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder why anyone would prefer symlinked initscripts over systemd for booting?
    systemd's service files are much easier to understand as they have very good documentation.
    Also systemd will start it's services in parallel only taking the dependencies into account, which is faster than S01, S02, S03 etc..

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      I wonder why anyone would prefer symlinked initscripts over systemd for booting?
      systemd's service files are much easier to understand as they have very good documentation.
      Also systemd will start it's services in parallel only taking the dependencies into account, which is faster than S01, S02, S03 etc..
      I understand what you mean, personally I wouldn't switch, but I feel afraid by systemd monolithic-ness and their developers attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post

I understand what you mean, personally I wouldn't switch, but I feel afraid by systemd monolithic-ness and their developers attitude.
        You are confusing the software systemd and the systemd project umbrella. The actual software is not monolithic. For example, when people say that systemd have gotten support for changing hostname, that is referring to the systemd project. The actual software to change hostname is a really small cmdline tool (and is not part of the actual systemd init program). So, the idea that systemd, the software, is monolithic is a misconception.

However, for the developers attitude, well that is a different story... the linux debug parameter fight got me a bit worried.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post
          For example, when people say that systemd have gotten support for changing hostname, that is referring to the systemd project. The actual software to change hostname is a really small cmdline tool (and is not part of the actual systemd init program).
          Yeah, the overall systemd project is something a lot like GNU coreutils, or the util-linux package... a suite of system components, one of which is the service manager that the project was created for.

Comment

Both of their users must be happy that there's a new release

Comment

This hate for people wanting something different than systemd reminds me about how some people act so upset for vegans saying they don't want to consume meatD

Comment

However, for the developers attitude, well that is a different story... the linux debug parameter fight got me a bit worried.
                And you know their attitude from where, click-bait headlines?
                This is almost so surreal, that Id call it political-correctness-by-proxy, read up on what actually happened: https://lwn.net/Articles/593676/

Comment

I find initscripts more readable and easier to understand. ymmv

I have yet to see a systemd based distro start/boot faster or shutdown faster than a sys-v init, openrc init distro on any of my systems. again YMMV.

Comment

You are confusing the software systemd and the systemd project umbrella. The actual software is not monolithic.
                    It is still fairly monolithic. Not one of those modules can truly function on its own and systemd is fairly broken without all of its modules.

This (admittedly annoying) diagram demonstrates this idea.

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux...ol_systemd.htm

That said, this isn't just systemd, I find open-source software is often a victim of a modular architecture that really just ends up being monolithic anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
                      This hate for people wanting something different than systemd reminds me about how some people act so upset for vegans saying they don't want to consume meatD
                      tbh i dont see any hate.
                      i only see hate against systemd and their devs.

use what you want but please let me also use systemd - because i want to

Comment

Working...
                      X