Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine Linux 3.12 Released With D Language Support, MIPS64 Port

Phoronix: Alpine Linux 3.12 Released With D Language Support, MIPS64 Port

Version 3.12 of the Alpine Linux lightweight distribution built around musl libc and Busybox is now available for this platform popular with containers and other embedded use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's interesting. Alpine is clearly targeted at embedded applications (much more than containers IMO), but unless I'm wrong, Dlang is virtually never used in that area (nor is it particularly suitable for it).

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      That's interesting. Alpine is clearly targeted at embedded applications (much more than containers IMO), but unless I'm wrong, Dlang is virtually never used in that area (nor is it particularly suitable for it).
      Not true. Alpine is used in the context of docker, in order to build minimal containerized applications. Any cloud D application will benefit from ability to run on Alpine.

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
        Not true.
        Pretty sure he's a troll. All his posts are just as dumb as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          The moment people see "busybox", they can't stop thinking embedded.

It is suited to be used anywhere you want a bloat free OS. As a result Desktop scenarios are not well supported.
          I use it on many servers in a virtualized environment.

I just wish that cloud providers like DigitalOcean, etc would start offering it as a standard config.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

The moment people see "busybox", they can't stop thinking embedded.

It is suited to be used anywhere you want a bloat free OS. As a result Desktop scenarios are not well supported.
            I use it on many servers in a virtualized environment.

I just wish that cloud providers like DigitalOcean, etc would start offering it as a standard config.
            I think "Crap, are the GNU tools available".

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think "Crap, are the GNU tools available".
              Code:
              apk add util-linux procps
              I can't live with only busybox, either.

Comment

I run Alpine on bare metal as my primary home server. The reasons why are sanity and security (e.g. the absence of systemd). Next best thing to OpenBSD in the Linux world, although it is true muse-libc does lead to some software portability glitches.

Comment

Originally posted by fazalmajid View Post
                  I run Alpine on bare metal as my primary home server. The reasons why are sanity and security (e.g. the absence of systemd). Next best thing to OpenBSD in the Linux world, although it is true muse-libc does lead to some software portability glitches.
                  musl libc is awesome for static linking and embedded, but using it on bigger machines is just throwing away performance for no good reason. The arch-specific implementations of memchr(), memcpy(), etc. in glibc are so much faster than musl it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry$ilverstein View Post

musl libc is awesome for static linking and embedded, but using it on bigger machines is just throwing away performance for no good reason. The arch-specific implementations of memchr(), memcpy(), etc. in glibc are so much faster than musl it's not even funny.
                    Care to share some links to benchmarks with us to this effect ?

Or maybe it is something Michael would like to test ...
                    Last edited by Raka555; 30 May 2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X