openSUSE Leap 15.2 Hits RC Phase With GNOME 3.34 + KDE Plasma 5.18, Sway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    It means 144Hz is early-birding the thread and trying to turn it into desktop holy wars. Do not feed...
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Probably means "GNOME and all of that" to him. He is just clever.
    "Standard packages" → ?? → "Gnome"
    How?

Comment

Originally posted by mykolak View Post
      How?
      Nice try. Fool Phoronix once, shame on you. Fool Phoronix 1,150 more times? Shame on you/Michael/144Hz...

Comment

I am just very happy with the release of Leap 15.2 RC. It works perfect in a VM for me, a simple user. Now the question is: how long can I resist for installing it before the official release.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          There’s 100+ posts about this on the mailing lists.
          Meaningless. There's probably 100+ posts about German beer as well.

Comment

Code is easy to fork or merge.
            Untrue, code isn't simple to merge. Have you ever tried to merge two branches which were split many commits ago? Moving to common source base started about 8 years ago.

Communities are difficult to fork or merge. The JUMP initiative to merge the openSUSE and SUSE communities has reached the point of no return. That’s my point.
            Seems wrong. "Jump" (it's not an acronym) aka "Closing The Leap Gap" is about merging sources AND binaries between SLE & Leap. It's about close cooperation of communities, not their merge (which is not possible).

SUSE threw in all their resources to make this happen. There’s 100+ posts about this on the mailing lists.
            Ok, I've subscribed to mailing lists. I see less than 30 messages include community replies in opensuse-factory, opensuse-project has more mails, but mostly a discussion not separate threads. And I don't see what 100+ of posts could mean.

The decision process is in place, infrastructure moved to SUSE, user accounts moved to SUSE.
            Moving to SUSE infrastructure has nothing to Jump. It was at Microfocus side with problems to access and Microfocus doesn't own SUSE anymore.

RC products now released etc. First it started as a “proposal” and quickly evolved to a Job Done.
            Leap 15.2 isn't supposed to be Jump release yet.

PS and last one sounds a little like propagandism, but I don't see a reason…
            Last edited by mykolak; 30 May 2020, 05:06 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Nice try. Fool Phoronix once, shame on you. Fool Phoronix 1,150 more times? Shame on you/Michael/144Hz...
              Could anyone explain this? I didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

"The kernel in Leap is the same kernel used in SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2. This kernel version is maintained by SUSE"
                https://en.opensuse.org/Features_15.2#Linux_kernel
                And? That doesn't really tell me diddly squat other than they're using a kernel that upstream has EOL'd.

I'd get it completely if they were doing what Red Hat does and provided a stable kernel abi over multiple kernel versions so the machine shouldn't ever have to reboot so their 5.3 might as well be a 5.4 or a 5.6 kernel....but I haven't really seen anything like that from SUSE (albeit I haven't looked very hard) so, from my point of view, it just appears that they pulled a Debian where a committee agreed to freeze software versions on a random date for LTS reasons.

Also, it seems like it would make sense for them to work with Ubuntu who is using 5.4 with 20.04. Got one LTS distribution backporing crap to 5.4 and another LTS distribution backporting crap to 5.3. Seems like that could possibly reduce a lot of duplicated work between both camps.

Comment

Well as long as I remember for not Tumbleweed openSUSE always heavily backported patches. So I don't think there would be security problems. And as for the new features, IMHO it's better to stick to Tumbleweed to have newer stuff.
                  So when it's toolkits like Qt, maintaining old versions is worse than going to Hell because of the supposed security risks, but maintaining old kernel versions with even more security risks is okay. I'm literally stunned.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 30 May 2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    So when it's toolkits like Qt, maintaining old versions is worse than going to Hell because of the supposed security risks
                    Are you referring to something specific?

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    but maintaining old kernel versions with even more security risks is okay. I'm literally stunned.
                    Security patches are backported (at least they were before), so no security concerns. I see in Leap 15.2 kernel a lot of patches after 5.3 EOL.

What I'd be concerned about — some bugs like this one (I was hit by it):

I just got a GPU hang while connected to HDMI immediately after running xfce4-display-settings. Here is the hang log: hang.txt. Here is info on my...

It was present on both 5.3 and (even more severe) 5.4 and only solved in 5.5 and there were some problems with backporting it to 5.4. Maybe they were solved later, IDK. (That's why I like Tumbleweed, but I understand that some people prefer more stable releases.)

Comment

How?
                      Could anyone explain this? I didn't get it.
                      Sure!

144Hz (previously Honton, funkSTAR, Griffin, GhostOfFunkS and Mentalist) is a well-known Phoronix member who has been around since 2013, thinks that GNOME is the center of the universe and that everything else is garbage and should die.

This means that in almost every KDE/GNOME thread he posts something as part of his GNOME worship, demeaning the other desktops (especially KDE).

He has been stopped several times already, but now he still keeps going under this account, and many people are tired of him, to the point we consider him more than just a troll.

His mission is to bring his whole crusade and destroy KDE by somehow spreading pro-GNOME propaganda in every way possible (early-birding threads, proving others wrong, calling GNOME the "upstream", "standard desktop", etc.), which often causes threads to be derailed and hence paves the way to Phoronix War I.

Unless Qt apologizes for their mistake and rectifies it, the war will continue for years to come.
                      Not even Michael or the moderators have the power to stop it, as:
                      - there may be backlash coming from his crusade, or
                      - he would create an account sooner or later anyway.

Welcome to Phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X