openSUSE Leap 15.2 Hits RC Phase With GNOME 3.34 + KDE Plasma 5.18, Sway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.2 Hits RC Phase With GNOME 3.34 + KDE Plasma 5.18, Sway

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.2 Hits RC Phase With GNOME 3.34 + KDE Plasma 5.18, Sway

OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 has progressed to its release candidate phase ahead of the official release planned for the first week of July...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"(..)OpenSUSE Leap 15.2 also is bringing new packages for AI and data scientists, an updated DNF package manager, and many other package updates.(..)"

since when does the suse uses dnf? it uses zypper, a vast improvement over the dnf

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
      since when does the suse uses dnf? it uses zypper, a vast improvement over the dnf
      It still uses zypper for default, but DNF is an option:

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
        since when does the suse uses dnf?
        It doesn't use it, just has it as a package. If someone for unknown reason needs it. It has dpkg but doesn't use it too.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          The SLE-Leap merger is almost complete. No way to go back.
          Why they should to go back?

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Hopefully they will align on standard packages after release
          Meaning? What are "standard packages"?

Comment

I was excited to see all the changes until I clicked on the link and saw the first one

Leap 15.2 will use the 5.3.18 Linux Kernel.
            How come that isn't 5.4.something? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 5.4 or 4.14 be better choices over an EOL'd kernel?

Comment

the long lead time of validating enterprise systems.

re: DNF - there is some suggestion from suse devs that zypper is heading towards retirement in the medium term.
              Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 29 May 2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I was excited to see all the changes until I clicked on the link and saw the first one

How come that isn't 5.4.something? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 5.4 or 4.14 be better choices over an EOL'd kernel?
                "The kernel in Leap is the same kernel used in SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2. This kernel version is maintained by SUSE"

Comment

So one more leap release to go until native exfat and wireguard support in the kernel? I think my Comet Lake laptop needs kernel 5.4+(might have issues lower than 5.5 actually iirc), probably some other useful kernel features that don't immediately come to mind.

Nice to see Plasma 5.18, does leap only use LTS versions? If so, guess I'll wait until one more LTS release of plasma before considering leap, I still haven't given TW a try yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mykolak View Post
                    Meaning? What are "standard packages"?
                    It means 144Hz is early-birding the thread and trying to turn it into desktop holy wars. Do not feed...

Comment

Working...
                    X