openSUSE Leap 15.2 Hits RC Phase With GNOME 3.34 + KDE Plasma 5.18, Sway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    It’s good to know they are past the point of no return.
    Splitting/forking is always easier than merging. So return would be quite easy. There is no point of that (at least right now) as all this was done to reduce costs (don't do same work twice).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      How come that isn't 5.4.something? Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 5.4 or 4.14 be better choices over an EOL'd kernel?
      Well as long as I remember for not Tumbleweed openSUSE always heavily backported patches. So I don't think there would be security problems. And as for the new features, IMHO it's better to stick to Tumbleweed to have newer stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        It means 144Hz is early-birding the thread and trying to turn it into desktop holy wars. Do not feed...
        Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Probably means "GNOME and all of that" to him. He is just clever.
        "Standard packages" → ?? → "Gnome"
        How?

Comment

Originally posted by mykolak View Post
          "Standard packages" → ?? → "Gnome"
          How?
          Nice try. Fool Phoronix once, shame on you. Fool Phoronix 1,150 more times? Shame on you/Michael/144Hz...

Comment

I am just very happy with the release of Leap 15.2 RC. It works perfect in a VM for me, a simple user. Now the question is: how long can I resist for installing it before the official release.

Comment

mykolak Code is easy to fork or merge. Communities are difficult to fork or merge. The JUMP initiative to merge the openSUSE and SUSE communities has reached the point of no return. That’s my point.

SUSE threw in all their resources to make this happen. There’s 100+ posts about this on the mailing lists. The decision process is in place, infrastructure moved to SUSE, user accounts moved to SUSE. RC products now released etc. First it started as a “proposal” and quickly evolved to a Job Done.

Comment

There’s 100+ posts about this on the mailing lists.
                Meaningless. There's probably 100+ posts about German beer as well.

Comment

Code is easy to fork or merge.
                  Untrue, code isn't simple to merge. Have you ever tried to merge two branches which were split many commits ago? Moving to common source base started about 8 years ago.

Communities are difficult to fork or merge. The JUMP initiative to merge the openSUSE and SUSE communities has reached the point of no return. That’s my point.
                  Seems wrong. "Jump" (it's not an acronym) aka "Closing The Leap Gap" is about merging sources AND binaries between SLE & Leap. It's about close cooperation of communities, not their merge (which is not possible).

SUSE threw in all their resources to make this happen. There’s 100+ posts about this on the mailing lists.
                  Ok, I've subscribed to mailing lists. I see less than 30 messages include community replies in opensuse-factory, opensuse-project has more mails, but mostly a discussion not separate threads. And I don't see what 100+ of posts could mean.

The decision process is in place, infrastructure moved to SUSE, user accounts moved to SUSE.
                  Moving to SUSE infrastructure has nothing to Jump. It was at Microfocus side with problems to access and Microfocus doesn't own SUSE anymore.

RC products now released etc. First it started as a “proposal” and quickly evolved to a Job Done.
                  Leap 15.2 isn't supposed to be Jump release yet.

PS and last one sounds a little like propagandism, but I don't see a reason…
                  Last edited by mykolak; 30 May 2020, 05:06 AM. Reason: added PS

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Nice try. Fool Phoronix once, shame on you. Fool Phoronix 1,150 more times? Shame on you/Michael/144Hz...
                    Could anyone explain this? I didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

"The kernel in Leap is the same kernel used in SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 Service Pack 2. This kernel version is maintained by SUSE"
                      https://en.opensuse.org/Features_15.2#Linux_kernel
                      And? That doesn't really tell me diddly squat other than they're using a kernel that upstream has EOL'd.

I'd get it completely if they were doing what Red Hat does and provided a stable kernel abi over multiple kernel versions so the machine shouldn't ever have to reboot so their 5.3 might as well be a 5.4 or a 5.6 kernel....but I haven't really seen anything like that from SUSE (albeit I haven't looked very hard) so, from my point of view, it just appears that they pulled a Debian where a committee agreed to freeze software versions on a random date for LTS reasons.

Also, it seems like it would make sense for them to work with Ubuntu who is using 5.4 with 20.04. Got one LTS distribution backporing crap to 5.4 and another LTS distribution backporting crap to 5.3. Seems like that could possibly reduce a lot of duplicated work between both camps.

Comment

Working...
                      X