Ubuntu Touch OTA-12 Released With The Switch Finally To Unity 8 / Lomiri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Touch OTA-12 Released With The Switch Finally To Unity 8 / Lomiri

Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch OTA-12 Released With The Switch Finally To Unity 8 / Lomiri

A year after the transition started to import Unity 8 into Ubuntu Touch, the work is now ready for users with the newly released Ubuntu Touch OTA-12 by the UBports crew...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u-Touch-OTA-12

This will be important for PinePhone

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      This will be important for PinePhone
      It sure will

Comment

mariogrip

Congratulations on a great release, and thank you for all your hard work. Much appreciated!

I realize that you're simultaneously working on about thousand projects, and I'm confident that you know far better than I do what should be your next focus. Even so, I can't help but express what at least one of your fans (me ) hopes you'll focus on in the coming months, namely:
        1. upgrading to the latest Qt;
        2. removing the remaining dependencies on the mirclient API;
        3. upgrading to Mir 1.8+;
        4. moving from upstart to systemd (in anticipation for a future rebase from Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04); and
        5. as soon as feasible, rebasing from 16.04 to 20.04.
        And, yep, I realize that you're already focusing on much of the above. But I wanted you to know that at least one of your fans (me ) is cheering for you! Ganbatte kudasai!

Comment

Originally posted by mariogrip View Post

It sure will
          Mario, quoting from the release announcement: "*other 'upcoming but unannounced hardware' *" ... real things coming up?

Comment

Not that I own a PinePhone or Librem (sorry, but software and price aside: That thing is just too much of a brick) but I am intrigued by the possibility of having a fully open source Linux phone. However, how is the hardware support these days? Last time I checked, battery life was abysmal, the baseband hardly worked, the GUI was slow, and the camera wasn't recognized at all. Any updates in that regard?

Comment

It seems like good work. As a Unity-nostalgic, maybe I'll try it back some day.

But that new Lomiri name, it's just plain terrible. Please let us have them reconsider, it can't get worse than that.

Comment

I use it daily on my Fairphwell2 and it works really well! Thank you for the good job!

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                  It seems like good work. As a Unity-nostalgic, maybe I'll try it back some day.

But that new Lomiri name, it's just plain terrible. Please let us have them reconsider, it can't get worse than that.
                  I agree: I too hate the new name, despite how great the OS itself is

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                    I use it daily on my Fairphwell2 and it works really well! Thank you for the good job!
                    Are you saying that it's currently a fully functional OS ready for end users? Are there any functionalities that are still missing?

Comment

Working...
                    X