Pop!_OS 20.04 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Royi View Post

Couldn’t one see that easily in config files? Could someone confirm?
    The scheduler is shown on the system tables in PTS articles... In this case, "none" for both.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The scheduler is shown on the system tables in PTS articles... In this case, "none" for both.
      So it makes even less sense. What caused the performance difference? I guess everything below 5% is the variance of the measurement. What about the IO?

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

Oh? RMS hasn't done enough to discredit himself? He has been doing it for free; now he has to be paid to do it?
        Sorry, no clue whatever it is you are trying to troll me about.

Comment

Man I would love a KDE based native version of Pop_OS!... and yes KPop_OS! would be the best name for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post

So it makes even less sense. What caused the performance difference? I guess everything below 5% is the variance of the measurement. What about the IO?
            I don't know why Michael didn't bother to mention it, since his own software is telling him (and everyone else for that matter, too) where the difference in I/O is actually coming from; here, let me spill or even spit it out for you guys:

Disk Details
            Pop OS 20.04: NONE / errors=remount-ro,noatime,rw
            Ubuntu 20.04: NONE / errors=remount-ro,relatime,rw
            Notice something? If not, let's make it even more clear:

Disk Details
            Pop OS 20.04: NONE / errors=remount-ro,noatime,rw
            Ubuntu 20.04: NONE / errors=remount-ro,relatime,rw
            The first time any new file is created, Ubuntu will still write the access-time (atime), whereas Pop!-OS (whoever came up with that name?) simply will not bother itself with these kind of operations!

And so the mystery was solved...

P.S.:
            One day, I might not be here anymore, and who on earth will then spoon-feed you, my fellow Linux comrades, I wonder?

Comment

A more sensible comparison might be to include two RPM-based operating systems that favor gaming, and are also widely used & supported. Fedora 32 has a gaming version, and is the official test branch for the Red Hat system of operating systems, similar to Ubuntu in relation to Debian.
              The other updated & popular gaming system is PCLinuxOS, based from Mandriva's version of RPM. This very family centered version of Linux has the best range & organization of free ware & educational games in any operating system. It also has designed in the immediate access to the very latest official Linux kernel, better than any other Linux operating system.
              PCLinuxOS has seven different Desktop Environments, but none are GNOME.

Comment

Is it possible to install the PopOS auto-tiling in Ubuntu?

Comment

How did Ubuntu 20.04 land ahead of PopOS 20.04 in the geometric mean then?

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                    Man I would love a KDE based native version of Pop_OS!... and yes KPop_OS! would be the best name for it!
                    Hit you with that Q- Q- Qt

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I don't know why Michael didn't bother to mention it, since his own software is telling him (and everyone else for that matter, too) where the difference in I/O is actually coming from; here, let me spill or even spit it out for you guys:

Notice something? If not, let's make it even more clear:

The first time any new file is created, Ubuntu will still write the access-time (atime), whereas Pop!-OS (whoever came up with that name?) simply will not bother itself with these kind of operations!

And so the mystery was solved...

P.S.:
                      One day, I might not be here anymore, and who on earth will then spoon-feed you, my fellow Linux comrades, I wonder?
                      Thank you for sharing that knowledge.
                      The problem with this site is the policy of quantity over quality.
                      Most of the time the testing methodology doesn't make sense (Comparing different OS's and using different version of GCC and compilation flags) and each time there is no analysis of why we have those results.

At first glance someone would think there is something really improved with Pop!-OS while in fast it is a simple configuration.

Comment

Working...
                      X