Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 10.4 Released With Many Fixes, Security Updates

Phoronix: Debian 10.4 Released With Many Fixes, Security Updates

Debian 10.4 is out this weekend as their fourth stable update to Debian Buster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks like 4.19.0-9 is the kernel ABI version. The actual kernel version is 4.19.118.x

Comment

Linux Kernel 4.19.118.x was released by The Linux Foundation, "Thu Apr 23 10:30:24 2020 +0200". It was available to most Debian operating systems as a complied binary: "2020-04-23 11:08", about the same time, allowing for different time zones.
      There are three more bug fixes available for Linux Kernel 4.119, but normal Debian systems need to use the Ubuntu set of compiled kernels to access these, usually.

If Debian-based systems want the very latest official Linux kernels, it is currently "v5.6.11", released 2020-05-06 11:1.
      For users wanting fast Linux Kernels, you can choose the Low Latency version, if you run AMD64 or ARMHF processors.
      However, perhaps readers don't care about maximum speeds from Linux, but just a balanced set of uses, including power savings.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        It looks like 4.19.0-9 is the kernel ABI version. The actual kernel version is 4.19.118.x
        Please stop spreading FUD.
        4.19.0-9 is an internal Debian version which is based on mainline version 4.19.118*
        *linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64 (4.19.118-2) is a dependency of linux-image-amd64

Comment

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post
          Please stop spreading FUD. 4.19.0-9 is an internal Debian version which is based on mainline version 4.19.118*
          Even if I misunderstood the version numbers, how is that FUD?
          (I can't wait for this reply.)

Comment

Even if I misunderstood the version numbers, how is that FUD?
            (I can't wait for this reply.)
            After reading your comment one can think Debian kernel maintainers leave users without security/other patches after more than 100 mainline LTS releases.
            Sometimes Debian maintainers don't fix some things for "current stable" (e.g. they didn't update Plasma LTS releases for Debian 9) but they actually care about security (browsers, kernel, libraries etc) pushing new versions or back-porting patches.

Comment

Please stop spreading FUD.
              4.19.0-9 is an internal Debian version which is based on mainline version 4.19.118*
              *linux-image-4.19.0-9-amd64 (4.19.118-2) is a dependency of linux-image-amd64
              How is that FUD? The user you quoted already wrote (by the way, you even quoted that part) that the mainline version is 4.19.118. 4.19.0-9 actually IS the Debian kernel ABI version.

Comment

After reading your comment one can think Debian kernel maintainers leave users without security/other patches after more than 100 mainline LTS releases.
                I have no idea how you could get that out of my comment. I just thought Michael misread the announcement, since he said it includes "the Linux 4.19.0-9 kernel".
                Announcement says:
                linux-latest Update kernel ABI to 4.19.0-9

Comment

I have no idea how you could get that out of my comment.
                  So sorry... I really must have misread it...

Comment

So sorry... I really must have misread it...
                    And you just joined Phoronix to make these wonderful posts? Cool story...

Comment

Working...
                    X