Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Spring 2020 Linux Distribution Performance Comparison With 240+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edwaleni
    replied
    Tell you what, the lead Clear Linux is showing in the codec space is making it economically desirable for a video transcode & quality farm.

It would be interesting to see how Clear Linux handles the codec-compare test from the IETF.

Leave a comment:

• lichtenstein
    replied
    Thanks for the tests, Michael! I really appreciate the effort.

Now to my question: why do you think did Manjaro perform worse than the others in these tests (Manjaro KDE user here)? Is there something that can be tweaked to improve the performance relative to the other distros?

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    I'm impressed by ClearLinux (in a positive sense) and Manjaro (in a negative sense).

I was expecting ClearLinux to perform better but to - in some cases - double the performance. Specifically in the video encoding tests. That's insane! Good to know
    But for Manjaro (or rather ArchLinux), they must be able to flip some switches to get more near the performance of ClearLinux. Right?
    I'm not phased about Manjaro's relative bad performance in gaming or video encoding aspects, but what shocked me was the relatively slow compile times. It appears that Manjaro and Debian-testing were using the same version of GCC and Debain-testing did quite well. Something is very wrong there.

PS: Thanks for the tests Michael!

Leave a comment:

• asasione
    replied
    Originally posted by markg85 View Post
    I'm impressed by ClearLinux (in a positive sense) and Manjaro (in a negative sense).

I was expecting ClearLinux to perform better but to - in some cases - double the performance. Specifically in the video encoding tests. That's insane! Good to know
    But for Manjaro (or rather ArchLinux), they must be able to flip some switches to get more near the performance of ClearLinux. Right?
    Manjaro is a derivative of Arch its not really representative of Arch technically (that's like transposing Ubuntu and Debian performance), if Endeavour is made the same as its predecessor it should be more indicative of Arch performance

Leave a comment:

• markg85
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    I must be in the wrong hemisphere

Leave a comment:

• skerit
    replied
    Interesting. So the Arch-based distros like Manjaro & EndeavourOS are probably at the bottom because they ship a (mostly) vanilla Linux kernel?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Holy shit, Michael. TYVM.

These results are making me consider turning off apparmor=1 on Manjaro. AFAICT, that's one of the things the ones at the bottom of the Geometrics have...or the tops of the last place one....

Leave a comment:

• 8-Way Spring 2020 Linux Distribution Performance Comparison With 240+ Benchmarks

Phoronix: 8-Way Spring 2020 Linux Distribution Performance Comparison With 240+ Benchmarks

Given the recent releases of Fedora 32, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Manjaro 20.0, and others, here is a fresh eight-way Linux distribution benchmark comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X