Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Spring 2020 Linux Distribution Performance Comparison With 240+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djbokka
    replied
    Does anyone know of benchmarks comparing tuned distros rather than out-of-the-box?

Are there tuning guides anywhere for achieving the best setup? The Manjaro performance section on the wiki seems to be relatively limited.

Leave a comment:

• JustinTurdeau
    replied
    Originally posted by slayerizer
    I probably know Arch better than you
    Highly doubtful.

Leave a comment:

• JustinTurdeau
    replied
    On some multi-user environments part of the boot-up process can come from the network. For this case systemd defaults to waiting for the network to come on-line before certain steps are taken.

You can disable this and reboot to notice if it makes a difference for a slow boot sequence. This is applicable to most distro (arch, ubuntu, ... ):
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    lol, yet another Manjaro user who thinks he's an Arch user. No one uses NetworkManager on Arch.

Leave a comment:

• sheldonl
    replied
    Originally posted by lichtenstein View Post

Just fstab with "noauto". What is this Automounter thingie?
    It's called autofs. You can use it to mount a ton of things so that it only mounts on demand. I don't know much about systemd, but this is how we used to do things way back in the 90's (and I continue to do things that way.) Solaris, AIX, Linux, HPUX, etc. they all had an autofs function, although it may have had different names, generally the automounting maps were fairly similar if not the same.

Here is a tutorial for linux: https://www.linuxtechi.com/automount...-using-autofs/
    Last edited by sheldonl; 24 June 2020, 01:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lichtenstein
    replied
    Originally posted by sheldonl View Post

Automounter should mount the nfs filesystem as soon as something attempts to access the directory path of the mount. Are you actually using Automounter or just relying on fstab to soft/hard mount the NFS file systems at boot time?
    Just fstab with "noauto". What is this Automounter thingie?

Leave a comment:

• sheldonl
    replied
    Originally posted by lichtenstein View Post

Man, thanks for this! I never gave it a thought but your post helped me to speed up my Manjaro boot considerably. Not only did I disable that service but I also disabled my 5 nfs auto-mounts. They were costing time, seconds for each which added up.

I need my nfs shares to be auto-mounted still and I solved it by just mounting them via a script that gets executed _after_ the KDE start up. It works like a charm and to me the difference (between fstab auto-mount and autostart running this script) is indistinguishable.

Now, I'm barely able to see the startup messages and KDE pops right up!
    Automounter should mount the nfs filesystem as soon as something attempts to access the directory path of the mount. Are you actually using Automounter or just relying on fstab to soft/hard mount the NFS file systems at boot time?

Leave a comment:

• deusexmachina
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post

nope their already benchmark for this and clear patch win against configured kernel
    That's not what is claimed on Gentoo forums... So many claims, so few benchmarks.

Leave a comment:

• lichtenstein
    replied
    4.468s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
    Man, thanks for this! I never gave it a thought but your post helped me to speed up my Manjaro boot considerably. Not only did I disable that service but I also disabled my 5 nfs auto-mounts. They were costing time, seconds for each which added up.

I need my nfs shares to be auto-mounted still and I solved it by just mounting them via a script that gets executed _after_ the KDE start up. It works like a charm and to me the difference (between fstab auto-mount and autostart running this script) is indistinguishable.

Now, I'm barely able to see the startup messages and KDE pops right up!

Leave a comment:

• deusexmachina
    replied
    Aryma reference / citation please

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied
    Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
    Why not add Gentoo? They claim theirptheir configured kernel would beat Clear Linux.
    nope their already benchmark for this and clear patch win against configured kernel

Leave a comment:

Working...
X