Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Spring 2020 Linux Distribution Performance Comparison With 240+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    for video transcode farm you'd just recompile your transcode app targeting your cpu and get it fast on any distro
    Just making sure I understand what you are saying....because this test result just showed that performance in running a coding event is OS dependent.

Since the libs were the same on each OS, and the hardware used is the same. by your remark I should see the same result.

If the coder was coded and compiled to use all of the available CPU related enhancements as exposed by the OS, how would a recompile of the app buy you anything?

If there is a good white paper or link you have at your disposal on this subject that you could share, I would enjoy reading it. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the interesting benchmarks. I do believe, however, that the number of tests won as 1st as metric for ranking the distributions is not too conclusive. Debian seems to do quite well just seldom being ranked 1st.

Comment

App developers: please increase the use of -fmv compile patches!
        Distro developers: create repositories for packages with -fmv enabled so retro hardware users dont lose functionality!

We could have more performance from Clear linux if the people in the right places wanted to!
        Last edited by AdamOne; 06 May 2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
          App developers: please increase the use of -fmv compile patches!
          Distro developers: create repositories for packages with -fmv enabled so retro hardware users dont lose functionality!

We could have more performance from Clear linux if the people in the right places wanted to!
          Amen!

Comment

micheal thanks for this comparison

Comment

why manjaro is always in your test is there something wrong with this distro

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Apparently you wanted to finish this sentence, but when you.
                I don't like people who don't finish their.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  It did, but somewhere I read, I think it was a post from here actually, that was talking about how apparmor is slower than selinux for certain contexts.
                  i was trying to say that maybe proper solution is to switch to (distro with)selinux instead of just disabling apparmor

Comment

Why not add Gentoo? They claim theirptheir configured kernel would beat Clear Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by make_adobe_on_Linux! View Post
                      Why not add Gentoo? They claim theirptheir configured kernel would beat Clear Linux.
                      nope their already benchmark for this and clear patch win against configured kernel

Comment

Working...
                      X