X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
    Why the hell they don't focus on BTRFS?
    It's too open source for Canonical.

FYI ZFS doesn't even support reflinks, which kinda limits its usage as a CoW FS.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      There’s a LOT of GNOME work coming for next release.
      How could Phoronix have an article and not even mention the center of the universe, GNOME?!
      Thanks for correcting that in the very first reply and steering the conversation in the correct direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

Everyone have basically given up on BTRFS for desktop distros. While Canonical went with ZFS, Red Hat is trying to develop similar features over XFS instead.

Hopefully BcacheFS can eventually deliver a good CoW FS to linux but till then everyone just have to make do with what came before.
        "Everyone" who?
        Fedora and openSuSE have rock solid btrfs support.

RHEL is not targeted ad typical desktop user.

Canonical/Ubuntu is the only one trying to push ZFS on the desktop, and btw, they'll fail the same way they failed with mir, upstart, ubuntu phone, and all the other crap they tried to promote.

PS: Not that ZFS is crap, i love it, but it just doesn't fit well with linux. That's it.

Comment

Everyone have basically given up on btrfs for desktop distros.
          Suse is still backing it and contributing to development.

Comment

Everyone have basically given up on BTRFS for desktop distros. While Canonical went with ZFS, Red Hat is trying to develop similar features over XFS instead.

Hopefully BcacheFS can eventually deliver a good CoW FS to linux but till then everyone just have to make do with what came before.
            Doesn't openSUSE use BtrFS by default? I'm actually considering jumping ship there from Kubuntu, because I don't like the progressing snapification and I already have my data partition as BtrFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Syfer View Post
              Doesn't openSUSE use BtrFS by default? I'm actually considering jumping ship there from Kubuntu, because I don't like the progressing snapification and I already have my data partition as BtrFS.
              Doesn't openSUSE put /home on XFS still though?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                20.04 got a very bad review at DW. Barely ran at all for Jesse, very slow when it did manage to run, and no ZFS snapshots at grub to help roll back any of the problems.
                Which is funny because all of that worked just fine for me. The only issues I had were during a reinstall their ZFS installer had an issue with the existing pools and doing wipefs on both disks of my previous mirror fixed it and during apt kernel updates osprober would bug out on my root mirror, quit probing, and not add my Windows 10 install to GRUB so I had to go old school and make a damn 40-custom. Haven't made one of those in like 10 years. Other than that, their ZFS support was top notch and other distributions should take notice.

That said, I went back to Manjaro KDE last night. Just a combination of not caring for the way Ubuntu does things and I'm tired of GNOME having random plugin incompatibilities. Nothing was ZFS related. I'd love to replicate their ZFS system on Arch or Manjaro since it would take all the risk out of "sudo pacman -Syu".

Also GNOME, it didn't help that I needed to add a startup application for the first time since using GNOME this year and that made me feel retarded. So let's try: Settings > Applications > Startup Applications....opens the App Store to uninstall Startup Applications....fuck me, that doesn't help.

OK, Who TF decided that GNOME Tweaks was the place for something as simple and as basic as the startup application menu? Did you make that call 144Hz?
                Last edited by skeevy420; 06 May 2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Why the hell they don't focus on BTRFS?
                  If you're not on OpenSUSE, join us... the btrfs is warm

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Doesn't openSUSE put /home on XFS still though?
                    Mine is on btrfs. Relatively new Tumbleweed install.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                      It's too open source for Canonical.
                      Yeah, because OpenZFS isn't open source...
                      Seriously, where do you people come up with this crap?
                      Last edited by DanL; 06 May 2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X