Will Ubuntu 9.04 Be Jauntily Fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Ubuntu 9.04 Be Jauntily Fast?

Phoronix: Will Ubuntu 9.04 Be Jauntily Fast?

When announcing Ubuntu 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope, Mark Shuttleworth had hoped to make this next Ubuntu Linux release perform better and to boot blindingly quick, in particular with Ubuntu beginning to appear on more mobile devices. Well, with Alpha 4 have been released earlier this month, are Canonical developers and the community in the right direction with making Ubuntu 9.04 boot quickly? We have boot-time benchmarks of the latest Ubuntu 9.04 work along with Linux desktop benchmarks comparing it to its predecessor, Ubuntu 8.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now that's what I like to see!

Comment

What about a graphics comparison?
      It would be much more interesting.
      Xrender and OpenGL.

That device (samsung) has an intel 950 which is quite common on netbooks. That is much more interesting

Comment

Well, one thing crossed my mind. Nice that 9.04 boots faster than 8.10, but WHY THE F...HELL it has twice or more processes at boot ? -_-;

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
          What about a graphics comparison?
          It would be much more interesting.
          Xrender and OpenGL.

That device (samsung) has an intel 950 which is quite common on netbooks. That is much more interesting
          I agree. I found the inclusion of ImageMagick Compile Time test rather strange. I'd think that Ubuntu's target user user doesn't compile amything.

I think a productivity benchmark and graphics benchmark would be a more relevant way of testing if Jaunty will be faster than its predecessor.

Comment

If they manage to fix this http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12309 then it will be fast .

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Will Ubuntu 9.04 Be Jauntily Fast?

When announcing Ubuntu 9.04, the Jaunty Jackalope, Mark Shuttleworth had hoped to make this next Ubuntu Linux release perform better and to boot blindingly quick, in particular with Ubuntu beginning to appear on more mobile devices. Well, with Alpha 4 have been released earlier this month, are Canonical developers and the community in the right direction with making Ubuntu 9.04 boot quickly? We have boot-time benchmarks of the latest Ubuntu 9.04 work along with Linux desktop benchmarks comparing it to its predecessor, Ubuntu 8.10.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=13495
              Any number comparing EXT3 installtion to EXT4 would have been very interesting. Any one ?

Comment

Ubuntu 9.04 uses ext3 by default, fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                  Well, one thing crossed my mind. Nice that 9.04 boots faster than 8.10, but WHY THE F...HELL it has twice or more processes at boot ? -_-;
                  I was wondering too. But oh well, they work faster.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                    If they manage to fix this http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12309 then it will be fast .
                    Is this the one lame report from digg?

Comment

Working...
                    X