X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm having some issues myself on Ubuntu. Everything I open tiles, but I've noticed that not all of the shortcut keys work. Most notably are super+up or down in adjustment mode to make the windows taller or shorter while left and right work just fine (neither arrows nor vim keys do up or down).

I also don't have the active hints.

Since I didn't see any issues on their git page (only glanced at it) that seemed like ours, I'm going to assume there are some issues when it comes time to set the shortcuts when using their install script...possibly more in regards to Clear.
    I have now switched from Clear Linux to PopOS ...I really liked Clear Linux for its Performance but hearing they will decrease the Desktop activities is a bummer for me. It was already a bit tricky to make everything work and it really became better but only because they have involved into Desktop. Lacking of their involvment makes it only worse. Flatpak Is fine ...as long as you dont have to deal with vscode oss plugins which are calling terminal commands (e.g. octave, latex stuff) and modding each deeper called command by the extension with --spawn host is impossible to do.

back to autotilling For Ubuntu they say it might not work because their ubuntus gnome-session is already modded. It is stated somewhere in the git readme

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by royce View Post

The extension probably works only on latest gnome and newer, in case Clear Linux's version is older.
    Clear Linux 32990 and newer has gnome 3.36.2. If I look at my PopOS 20.04 I see 3.36.1.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

This was less a complain more a warning - for people like me running into new code and trying to compile it even knowing that it was developed in a debian environment.

sh build.sh gives some error timeout getting gnome startup service...(parsing some journctl thing) but even without make install it already installed it self. tilling works but not for every window. gaps also dont work.
    This was a run and try attempt

I m just at another computer with native autotilling respectively pop os 20.04 so I can not recall the error message in detail.
    The extension probably works only on latest gnome and newer, in case Clear Linux's version is older.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Thank you - even after rebuilding everything with shell-shortcuts this behaviour seems to be normal - It wants to logout and I was declining it. But even with accepting the logout it seems to be broken on Gnome 3.36.2 on Clear Linux. No resizing tiled "panel" of windows - show active hint also does not work. Only fresh opened terminals and nautilus windows are tilled. shortcuts are also not working even if shortcut help shows up correctly.
    Since Clear Linux 32990 they got rid of some of their gnome customizations. But it is still not plain vanilla gnome I guess. Or maybe I have to dig deeper then just deleting all .gnome ...etc configs or I have missed some to reset it completely.

Vistaus I hope this more the way of reporting you have asked for.
    I'm having some issues myself on Ubuntu. Everything I open tiles, but I've noticed that not all of the shortcut keys work. Most notably are super+up or down in adjustment mode to make the windows taller or shorter while left and right work just fine (neither arrows nor vim keys do up or down).

I also don't have the active hints.

Since I didn't see any issues on their git page (only glanced at it) that seemed like ours, I'm going to assume there are some issues when it comes time to set the shortcuts when using their install script...possibly more in regards to Clear.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I thought so on my system too. I also noticed that it seems to work a lot better after a reboot.

FWIW, I followed the instructions from their git repo and had to manually install the missing dependencies. Noticed that I didn't have the Pop! OS shortcuts installed, found some instructions for that here, and saw that I installed the same dependencies they did for the shell and did almost the same things for the Shortcuts.

I changed
    Code:
    sudo apt install cargo rustc libgtk-3-dev
    to
    Code:
    sudo apt install build-essential libgtk-3-dev
    and did a manual rustup install.

I also replaced
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    with
    Code:
    export DESTDIR="bin"
    make
    make prefix=$HOME install
    because you don't install stuff to /usr/bin with friggin sudo....what kind of instructions are those? Let's install half to the local user and with the other half we'll pollute the root...but, yeah, using the $HOME/bin is just fine so I went with that.
    Thank you - even after rebuilding everything with shell-shortcuts this behaviour seems to be normal - It wants to logout and I was declining it. But even with accepting the logout it seems to be broken on Gnome 3.36.2 on Clear Linux. No resizing tiled "panel" of windows - show active hint also does not work. Only fresh opened terminals and nautilus windows are tilled. shortcuts are also not working even if shortcut help shows up correctly.
    Since Clear Linux 32990 they got rid of some of their gnome customizations. But it is still not plain vanilla gnome I guess. Or maybe I have to dig deeper then just deleting all .gnome ...etc configs or I have missed some to reset it completely.

Vistaus I hope this more the way of reporting you have asked for.

Leave a comment:

• slipsnip
    replied
    While not a Gnome user myself I give major props for what looks like a clean well thought out implementation of tiling on gnome. I use tiling window managers and while this is not a true tiling window manager, this implementation is a major step forward.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    tried it on Clear Linux seems to be slightly broken
    I thought so on my system too. I also noticed that it seems to work a lot better after a reboot.

FWIW, I followed the instructions from their git repo and had to manually install the missing dependencies. Noticed that I didn't have the Pop! OS shortcuts installed, found some instructions for that here, and saw that I installed the same dependencies they did for the shell and did almost the same things for the Shortcuts.

I changed
    Code:
    sudo apt install cargo rustc libgtk-3-dev
    to
    Code:
    sudo apt install build-essential libgtk-3-dev
    and did a manual rustup install.

I also replaced
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    with
    Code:
    export DESTDIR="bin"
    make
    make prefix=$HOME install
    because you don't install stuff to /usr/bin with friggin sudo....what kind of instructions are those? Let's install half to the local user and with the other half we'll pollute the root...but, yeah, using the $HOME/bin is just fine so I went with that.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Always good to see people complaining without posting what's broken. Does it glitch? Does it not even install? Does it consume too much CPU? Are certain apps not behaving well with it? Please clarify.
    This was less a complain more a warning - for people like me running into new code and trying to compile it even knowing that it was developed in a debian environment.

sh build.sh gives some error timeout getting gnome startup service...(parsing some journctl thing) but even without make install it already installed it self. tilling works but not for every window. gaps also dont work.
    This was a run and try attempt

I m just at another computer with native autotilling respectively pop os 20.04 so I can not recall the error message in detail.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Always good to see people complaining without posting what's broken. Does it glitch? Does it not even install? Does it consume too much CPU? Are certain apps not behaving well with it? Please clarify.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X