Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 32 Officially Released With EarlyOOM, SSD TRIM Finally Flipped On, GNOME 3.36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    well, it's the opposite of merger. redhat was bought by rest of ibm, not by personal computing division
    I don't mean to be pedantic here, but I was making reference to the original quote, which was:

"I like Fedora but I don't like IBM's acquirement of RedHat and IBM's merger with Lenovo. Hopefully it won't ruin that distribution, specially with Lenovo's ties to CCP."

The key part being "and IBM's merger with Lenovo". So the original poster was referencing something different than IBM acquiring RedHat. It was just that IBM did not merge with Lenovo, IBM only sold Lenovo their personal computing division like fifteen years ago. Anyone is fine to be against that happening, I was just making the point that it was not a merger, and it was a long time ago.

Comment

IBM new distro

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        IBM sold their personal computing division to Lenovo like fifteen years ago or so:

But yeah, this is not the same thing as a merger, and way old news. Cannot see how relevant today.
        He may be getting confused by an announcement this week that Lenovo are putting out a range of Fedora-based laptops.

Today, I’m excited to share some big news with you—Fedora Workstation will be available on Lenovo ThinkPad laptops! Yes, I know,  many of us already run a Fedora operating system on a Lenovo system, but this is different. You’ll soon be able to get Fedora pre-installed by selecting it as you customize your purchase. This […]

Comment

Originally posted by dlocklear01 View Post
          Things went south when ACC bought Red Hat. Imagine how rich Ewing would have got had he just held out a year or two longer, and had he not written rpm in perl
          Seriously? We are talking 1995 here.

Comment

IBM didn't want Red Hat for Fedora. They wanted Red Hat for Open Shift. Red Hat had made the most inroads with corporate enterprises with licensing their Kubernetes spin.

Now watch Red Hat's Open Stack follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by set135
              On Gentoo, many ebuilds have CHECKREQS_MEMORY values that exceed 4G, especially for amd64 and lto targets. So, judging from a quick grep, one might have problems with: electron, tensorflow, chromium, pypy, mlton, colord, and ledger if your virtual mem is only 4G.
              Thank you, good to know. I ignorantly thought that compiling was mainly just a cpu-intensive based on my limited experience.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                What's up with the wallpaper? I keep seeing it the past couple of weeks in articles about the 32 release. That can't possibly be the default wallpaper, right? If I saw that, I'd think my graphics card must be fried.
                One of the first things I did was to switch the wall paper to one of the other offerings as frankly the default looks like crap. This on a 4K monitor. By the way the first thing I thought was that it didn't set up the display driver correctly, that was fine the default desktop is just crap.

When some free time pops up I will be searching the net for some free tropical themed wallpapers/pictures. Tropical is required during the long northeast winter months.

Speaking of which, I have a bunch of medium format negatives and slides from ages ago. Anybody have a recommendation for a Linux compatible scanner that can do high resolution scans. Oh and the scanner must be affordable. Some of these are from the southeast USA and would also make for great wallpapers.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
                  I like Fedora but I don't like IBM's acquirement of RedHat and IBM's merger with Lenovo. Hopefully it won't ruin that distribution, specially with Lenovo's ties to CCP.
                  IBM hasn't hurt Fedora one bit. If anything they may be helping the development of my favorite distro.

Beyond that IBM did not merge with Lenovo, they sold the PC business to Lenovo years ago. As for the CCP that is a massive issue and frankly this is the wrong thread for that. The problem at the moment though is that we don't have a choice when it comes to laptops and the issue of being China built.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

IBM hasn't hurt Fedora one bit. If anything they may be helping the development of my favorite distro.

Beyond that IBM did not merge with Lenovo, they sold the PC business to Lenovo years ago. As for the CCP that is a massive issue and frankly this is the wrong thread for that. The problem at the moment though is that we don't have a choice when it comes to laptops and the issue of being China built.
                    Yes I've read that thing on reddit somewhere. Huh disinformation I guess

Comment

Anyways the positives and negatives from last nights install of F32. This on an AMD based system with an AMD 5500XT video card and a 4K monitor.
                      1. Installation really sucked at the point of setting up the hard drive, well SSD in this case. It might be me but the installation software seems to be getting worse here instead of improving. Eventually got my partitions set up, but I only do this manually because Fedora traditionally defaults to partition sizes that are way too small.
                      2. After the first boot up I really thought that Fedora screwed up the video driver install due to the crappy wall paper. Thankfully the driver is right the wall paper is a joke though.
                      3. The good news is that the video driver appears to be working well out of the box. This looks like a great distro for AMD users.
                      4. That being said I did have one crash that shut the computer down. Not sure of the cause and frankly haven't even looked into it yet.
                      5. The really bad news is that we still can't install Eclipse using the usual tools supplied with the distro in the default manners. I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing or poor testing at Fedora but you would think that after a half of a year they would have this sorted out. By the way this is with DNF and with the GUI "Software" app. Generally I install my "base" set of apps and utilities with DNF and then go to the GUI to pick up stuff missed or that may be new to me. No luck with Eclipse though.
                      6. I use group installs when first setting up. I'm not sure if this is being phased out at Fedora or what but it really seems to be losing on the maintenance and debug side. See Item 5 above but there are many "groups" that look like they are not maintained at all. Right now it would be adisable for Fedora to either drop groups completely or spend sometime making sure the groups are usable and reflect the currents distros capability.
                      7. There are a surprising number of GUI bugs that will need to be addressed. This isn't really a surprise but it is more extensive than seen in F31.
                      8. In general the release seems to be faster and in this respect is rather nice to use. Obviously I've only been running it for a couple of hours now. Chrome seems to be good.

Comment

Working...
                      X