Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 32 Officially Released With EarlyOOM, SSD TRIM Finally Flipped On, GNOME 3.36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Before you rush to update mind that the official VirtualBox package hasn't been updated yet for F32 compatibility.

Looks OK to me though to be honest I hate blueish backgrounds and I've always used my own one (dark greenish).
    Curious about why people would choose VirtualBox these days over virt-manager/libvirt or gnome-boxes? Every time I've tried virtual box, no matter the host OS, it's had kind of poor performance.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Anyways the positives and negatives from last nights install of F32. This on an AMD based system with an AMD 5500XT video card and a 4K monitor.[*]Installation really sucked at the point of setting up the hard drive, well SSD in this case. It might be me but the installation software seems to be getting worse here instead of improving. Eventually got my partitions set up, but I only do this manually because Fedora traditionally defaults to partition sizes that are way too small.
      Sucked how? What sucked? What partition size is "too small"? What size do you think it ought to be?

[*]After the first boot up I really thought that Fedora screwed up the video driver install due to the crappy wall paper. Thankfully the driver is right the wall paper is a joke though.
      You may just not be up to date on your design trends. Apparently the 90s are back, which means...these colors, and noisy halftones! https://pagure.io/design/issue/669 has the background (pun absolutely intended) here.

[*]The really bad news is that we still can't install Eclipse using the usual tools supplied with the distro in the default manners. I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing or poor testing at Fedora but you would think that after a half of a year they would have this sorted out. By the way this is with DNF and with the GUI "Software" app. Generally I install my "base" set of apps and utilities with DNF and then go to the GUI to pick up stuff missed or that may be new to me. No luck with Eclipse though.
      What do you mean by "can't install"? What do you mean by "no luck"? Eclipse is definitely there, I just checked, so - do you mean it doesn't install? It doesn't work?

[*]I use group installs when first setting up. I'm not sure if this is being phased out at Fedora or what but it really seems to be losing on the maintenance and debug side. See Item 5 above but there are many "groups" that look like they are not maintained at all. Right now it would be adisable for Fedora to either drop groups completely or spend sometime making sure the groups are usable and reflect the currents distros capability.
      This isn't really a blanket area, it's more case-by-case. Groups relevant to core editions and features etc. will be carefully maintained, but there are a ton of groups that were created by contributors and those can be haphazardly maintained or just gently bitrotting away. Any package maintainer can commit to comps (the thing that defines the groups) so there isn't really any gatekeeping on this. I do have some ideas to try and weed out particularly bitrotten groups, but haven't got enough round tuits at the moment...

[*]There are a surprising number of GUI bugs that will need to be addressed. This isn't really a surprise but it is more extensive than seen in F31.
      I mean, this is really uselessly vague. "GUI bugs"? What GUI? What bugs?

Comment

The really bad news is that we still can't install Eclipse using the usual tools supplied with the distro in the default manners.
        non modular eclipse in fedora is broken. so start with dnf module enable eclipse. or just download eclipse from upstream, it works well and is usually newer (they seem to do major releases every 3 months now)

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          What do you mean by "can't install"? What do you mean by "no luck"? Eclipse is definitely there, I just checked, so - do you mean it doesn't install? It doesn't work?
          do you check you bugzilla? https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1759176

Comment

Anyways the positives and negatives from last nights install of F32. This on an AMD based system with an AMD 5500XT video card and a 4K monitor.
            1. Installation really sucked at the point of setting up the hard drive, well SSD in this case. It might be me but the installation software seems to be getting worse here instead of improving. Eventually got my partitions set up, but I only do this manually because Fedora traditionally defaults to partition sizes that are way too small.
            2. After the first boot up I really thought that Fedora screwed up the video driver install due to the crappy wall paper. Thankfully the driver is right the wall paper is a joke though.
            3. The good news is that the video driver appears to be working well out of the box. This looks like a great distro for AMD users.
            4. That being said I did have one crash that shut the computer down. Not sure of the cause and frankly haven't even looked into it yet.
            5. The really bad news is that we still can't install Eclipse using the usual tools supplied with the distro in the default manners. I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing or poor testing at Fedora but you would think that after a half of a year they would have this sorted out. By the way this is with DNF and with the GUI "Software" app. Generally I install my "base" set of apps and utilities with DNF and then go to the GUI to pick up stuff missed or that may be new to me. No luck with Eclipse though.
            6. I use group installs when first setting up. I'm not sure if this is being phased out at Fedora or what but it really seems to be losing on the maintenance and debug side. See Item 5 above but there are many "groups" that look like they are not maintained at all. Right now it would be adisable for Fedora to either drop groups completely or spend sometime making sure the groups are usable and reflect the currents distros capability.
            7. There are a surprising number of GUI bugs that will need to be addressed. This isn't really a surprise but it is more extensive than seen in F31.
            8. In general the release seems to be faster and in this respect is rather nice to use. Obviously I've only been running it for a couple of hours now. Chrome seems to be good.
            Nice news. I will be upgrading to RDNA or RDNA2 gpu later this year and it is nice to know it works decently now. I think kernel 5.8 and Mesa 20.2 will be when Navi users really have good support though.

Comment

Working...
            X