Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy Gorilla" Open For Development

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy Gorilla" Open For Development

Just days after Canonical shipped the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" release, Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy Gorilla" is now open for development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I would love to see...

- Wayland by default
    - Integration of systemd-homed
    - Pipewire (if its production ready)

Comment

More ZFS. More BTRFS. More COWs
      Last edited by horizonbrave; 28 April 2020, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Speaking of Ubuntu, Wayland, and ZFS....

Went back to 20.04 yesterday after trying Manjaro KDE 20.0. Outside of a couple ZFS quirks I've come across it has been a pretty smooth experience.

First things I did were to switch to gnome-session with Wayland (works just fine for me...haven't done more than Firefox and Netflix) and to convert my ZFS pools it creates from /dev/sd@# to /dev/disk/by-id/sd@-id-part# while converting it from a single disk to a mirror setup. If you're like me and you have a system that changes your /dev/sd$ around that's something you should consider doing if you're using a ZFS root. It's also the recommended way to setup your pools based on the ZoL documentation.

Here's how to fix that ZFS issue and convert to a mirror in the process (likely for BIOS users)
        Do not reboot until this is all finished. You've been warned.
        I'm also assuming that /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are the drives w/o their ID so y'all will have to correct for that when necessary
        Code:
        #"ls -la /dev/disk/by-id" is your best friend
        # Start a root shell
        sudo -i
        # Clone partition tables
        sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk -f /dev/sdb
        # attach your mirrors
        zfs attach -f rpool /dev/sda7 /dev/disk/by-id/sdb-part7
        zfs attach -f bpool /dev/sda6 /dev/disk/by-id/sdb-part6
        # wait for it to finish reslivering (check the scan line of "zpool status")
        zpool status
        # detach the dev/sda# partitions
        zfs detach rpool /dev/sda7
        zfs detach bpool /dev/sda6
        # re-attach those partitions correctly
        zfs attach -f rpool /dev/disk/by-id/sdb-part7 /dev/disk/by-id/sda-part7
        zfs attach -f bpool /dev/disk/by-id/sdb-part6 /dev/disk/by-id/sda-part6
        ## You're safe to reboot now
        ## If you don't want to be in a mirrored setup then detach the /dev/disk/by-id/sdb-parts at this time.
        ## Optional
        mkswap /dev/sdb5
        # And open up /etc/fstab and add another swap entry
        # You'll have that free so why not?  Or take it a step farther with stripped swap...lol
        I can almost guarantee that those of y'all with a BIOS setup will have the same /dev/sda6 bpool and /dev/sda7 rpool so this should be pretty copy/paste outside of having to fill in the dev/disk/by-id/fill_this_in-part7 stuff. If you have a UEFI setup, it'll be damn near the same only /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7 will be different.
        Last edited by skeevy420; 27 April 2020, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Wayland switch.

Comment

I would like to see the ability to have the latest -stable kernels installed automatically - with all the ubuntu flavouring (the current PPA kernels a good, but having the signed versions with all the tooling/additions just there as an option would be nice).

as with everyone, Wayland as default would be most excellent. Along with jacob I would love to see Pipewire in there too.

I am wondering if they could work with AMD for creating a GUI control panel for AMDGPU (or someone can work with AMD to port over the windows control panel)

Comment

Wishes:
              - Stick to Xorg.
              - Get rid of Nautilus for a file system feeling more professional, polished and being more featured. Nemo is a solid candidate, but could be improved further.
              - Put in more work into the Ubuntu dock, hence dash-to-dock, it has some bugs and takes too much time to be updated ahead of releases. Although the owner does a fantastic job at making Gnome acceptable
              - Find a way to bypass that idiotic extra click from Gnome 3.36 to suspend.
              - Find a way to have Save and Cancel closer in windows to avoid another extra amount of mouse movements required
              - Correct Yaru close button being squeezed into a rugby ball when the window is not CSD.
              - Make the Unite extension installed by default, the vertical space lost is blatantly ridiculous in Gnome
              - Give us an option (not an extension) to get rid of the Activities button, it's annoying and the overview is useless anyway.
              - A discreet bar extending visually the dock in the top bar so that windows name, controls or icons with Unite enabled would be aligned visually would be icing on the cake. Consistency in the small details makes for a great OS.
              - Make 4K60 possible without playing with cvt and xrandr, or conf files with Modeline and obscure stuff.
              - Improve fractional scaling so that 125, 150 or 175% don't get an extra random frozen cursor somewhere in the screen that you need to find a way to remove evertime you start a session.
              - Please put in a standardized key combination to call for system monitor. It's 2020.
              - Do what upstream Gnome can't do so that we don't need an Alt+f2+r+Enter every once in a while to limit its ludicrous RAM use.

I guess most of these are Gnome related. 😅
              Basically just do what Gnome is unable to.

Comment

Get rid of systemd. Go with something modern instead of that hoary old bloated beast, constantly dragging down performance. S6+66, something fresh like that.

Comment

Finally fix the Upgrade tool so that upgrades to new releases are possible without having to enable/install snapd.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    Get rid of systemd. Go with something modern instead of that hoary old bloated beast, constantly dragging down performance. S6+66, something fresh like that.
                    lmao, it's a shame this isn't a joke because it's hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                    X