Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy Gorilla" Open For Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Get rid of systemd. Go with something modern instead of that hoary old bloated beast, constantly dragging down performance. S6+66, something fresh like that.
    lmao, it's a shame this isn't a joke because it's hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      More Wayland. More GNOME. Less CLA.
      OMG! A CLA! Man the bridges! Hold the fort! Hold your farts! All artilllery defensive! Send a horde of trolls under the bridge!

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        Wishes:
        - Make 4K60 possible without playing with cvt and xrandr, or conf files with Modeline and obscure stuff.
        I never get 4K60 to work properly with my LG TV. It only works when the HDMI cable to my LG TV comes directly from my PC without the usage of my HDMI-5-Port-Switch. And even when there is a direct cable connection I have to try to connect multiple times in the Xubuntu Xfce Settings until I have an image in 4K60. Do you have any tips how to workaround this issue? 4K30 is no problem by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by dc_coder_84 View Post

I never get 4K60 to work properly with my LG TV. It only works when the HDMI cable to my LG TV comes directly from my PC without the usage of my HDMI-5-Port-Switch. And even when there is a direct cable connection I have to try to connect multiple times in the Xubuntu Xfce Settings until I have an image in 4K60. Do you have any tips how to workaround this issue? 4K30 is no problem by the way.
          Is your switch HDMI 2.0 compatible? Are your cables all 2.0? It's an idiotic answer. I know. You've probably checked but even then one of my supposedly 2.0 cables wasn't good enough.

Let's assume they are, though. I had a similar issue as you, but when going through an AV receiver (although the AV receiver is a 4k60 pass through). I tinkered for a long time to no avail. Eventually what did the trick is in the input sources of my TV (HDMI 1, 2, 3), there was an "optimal" setting that was not activated by default and triggers extended 4k60 and HDR support on 2 HDMI ports. I think it was working without that setting in direct link but not through the receiver.

Then you will need to play with cvt (look it up) and xrandr --newmode and --addmode to make it work.

And to make it work at startup hence permament, it's a conf file in xorg.conf.d, basically adding the setup found in cvt to that file with modeline.

If your switch is 2.0 compliant, and you manage to find your own cvt config that triggers 4k at 60 Hz, I can give you my conf file that you can easily adapt so as to make it permanent.

4k30 was a problem for me as it felt quite slow. 4K60 feels faster and more reactive.

Now I have a disproportionate 4K60 65" monitor screen for my desktop/HTPC.
          Last edited by Mez'; 04-30-2020, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X