X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrazster
    replied
    Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
    Having tested this Final Release, yes - there are already many bugs & untidy parts.
    Would you care to elaborate on witch bugs and untidy parts you have come across during testing ?

Leave a comment:

• makosol
    replied
    Ubuntu studio is switching to KDE Plasama by the way : https://ubuntustudio.org/2020/04/ubu...-lts-released/

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by motang View Post
    Like a few people stated here, I feel the same. I used l*ve looking forward to new releases of Ubuntu, count the days, test every stage of milestone (in virtual environment and sometimes on bare metal), but now I am more or less okay cool. I will wait for the update to hit my system(s), as I am too busy with other stuff these days. I am very happy for this one though a solid release and I l*ve using both Kubuntu and Ubuntu. Both are top notch releases.
    Well, the reason for the contained excitement these days is that it's become so incredibly mature! Or solid if that's your word for it. Except for some Gnome-specific issues, it mostly just works. I've been using it for 15 years, 14 as my primary OS (with Manjaro as backup these days), and it has come a loooooooooong way to become what it is now.

We used to get so many driver issues at the time, and tinkering was the norm. I could restore a session or a broken driver blindfolded, by falling back on the tty with no display (broken) and manage to carefully enter the commands to get out of it and recover my display.
    Now, it's so easy, so user-friendly with the Ubuntu special sauce it's almost boring.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Installing the server edition on my servers right now! Got two of my NAS's going with it now no problem, and working on my webserver next.

Leave a comment:

• gregzeng
    replied
    There are about 51 Linux operating systems based on Ubuntu. If we count only those based on Ubuntu LTS, there are only 17 based on it. (Distrowatch, just now). These "updates should be appearing soon.
    Creators of Ubuntu 20.04 tell us to NOT install these versions onto production equipment. There are so many bugs, etc that they tell us to use only the first point release 20.04.1 onwards. Having tested this Final Release, yes - there are already many bugs & untidy parts.

BASED ON UBUNTU

1. Linux Mint (3)
    2. elementary OS (6)
    3. Zorin OS (8)
    4. KDE neon (11)
    5. Pop!_OS (13)
    6. Ubuntu Kylin (20)
    7. Peppermint OS (22)
    8. Linux Lite (24)
    9. Lubuntu (29)
    10. Xubuntu (35)
    11. Kubuntu (37)
    12. Ubuntu MATE (44)
    13. Bodhi Linux (51)
    14. Voyager Live (62)
    15. ExTiX (63)
    16. Ultimate Edition (65)
    17. LXLE (66)
    18. Robolinux (71)
    19. Nitrux (72)
    20. Emmabuntüs (75)
    21. Ubuntu Budgie (79)
    22. Ubuntu Studio (84)
    23. Trisquel GNU/Linux (89)
    24. Linux Kodachi (99)
    25. MakuluLinux (103)
    26. BackBox Linux (106)
    27. Linuxfx (107)
    28. SuperGamer (119)
    29. CAINE (142)
    30. Peach OSI (145)
    31. UBports (146)
    32. Runtu (157)
    33. Enso OS (159)
    34. Zentyal Server (162)
    35. Ubuntu DesktopPack (165)
    36. Freespire (167)
    37. Pinguy OS (179)
    38. APODIO (188)
    39. Pearl Linux OS (190)
    40. BigLinux (197)
    41. CAELinux (201)
    42. Linspire (204)
    43. SuperX (207)
    44. Linux Mangaka (216)
    45. LliureX (226)
    46. SharkLinux (229)
    47. Karoshi (249)
    48. NexentaStor (250)
    49. Greenie Linux (254)
    50. OSGeoLive (264)
    51. tuxtrans (270)

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by Hans Bull View Post
    So is there chromium snapcrap-only? Any experience?
    I use it as a secondary browser. First startup is slow, as it happens with all snap apps. But it works fine.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    If you're a JavaScript developer and install the npm package then it pulls in the node.js dependency which in turns pulls in node-gyp which depends on Python 2.
    All my node-ish commands are aliases to running these from containers now. It's not hard to set up if you know your way around docker and bash.

Leave a comment:

• Hans Bull
    replied
    So is there chromium snapcrap-only? Any experience?

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    It was never alive.
    And yet it can never die, making Linux Desktop something unkillable.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    So I installed 20.04. My initial impression was Grimace was about to do naughty, hugging things to me. What I'm saying is that login screen is freakin purple y'all. But enough of that...

The plan was to install Kubuntu 20.04, but its disk didn't have the ZFS option. Dammit. Plan A was not off to a good start.

So Plan B was flashing Ubuntu 20.04 from the Kubuntu live session and, outside of one very, very, VERY noticeable issue I had, the install was just fine. The standard click next a few times, auto-partitioner magic, fill out some forms, click a map....what we've come to expect from a standard GUI Linux install. The noticeable issue -- I selected ZFS and the installer kept saying Ext4 for everything afterwards....really??? I wasn't sure I was actually using ZFS until I ran "sudo zpool list" upon boot.

First thing was first. I needs me some KDE. Their default Gnome desktop was fine and all, but I know what I like and that wasn't it so "sudo apt instal tasksel" followed by "sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop". That went fine. That's when I discovered that Ubuntu has this ZFS closed bug when I went to convert the root and boot pools from single disks to mirrors. Luckily the tip in that thread worked and my desktop has mirrored ZFS boot and root pools. Yay.

When I ran "zpool status" after that I realized Ubuntu might have a pretty important ZFS issue they might need to deal with. Their installer uses /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7 when creating the zpools. ZoL recommends that Ubuntu should have used /dev/disk/by-id/disk-id-part6 and /dev/disk/by-id/disk-id-part7. I have 420 in my username and I caught that within my first 6 terminal commands

But I'm on Kubuntu with SDDM now. Nice and Breezy with no Purple Assault when I log in. So far so good.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 23 April 2020, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X