Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    I'm getting really old, 10 years ago I was counting the months till a new Ubuntu release, now I barely noticed it, I guess that's what being an old fart feels like, huh.
    Yeah, i noticed this on myself as well, when i was in my 20s i was so eager for new tech and software, no i don't give a fsck. We just don't get excited anymore, due to experience.

Comment

Btw I use Archâ„¢

Gonna give this Ubuntu a try in a VM though. Maybe it's QEMU package finally now has SDL and Virgil support built-in?

Comment

Please make a post comparing resources usage between the flavors

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          I'm getting really old, 10 years ago I was counting the months till a new Ubuntu release, now I barely noticed it, I guess that's what being an old fart feels like, huh.
          Indeed - except for the fact that Ubuntu 18.04 felt like a huge setback, when they suddenly changed to a slow and buggy Gnome. However it has really improved in the last couple of releases, and 20.04 feels very solid, responsive and polished. Even Wayland seems to just work! (Although still non-default).

So now I will perhaps go back to not counting the months till a new release

Comment

If you're a JavaScript developer and install the npm package then it pulls in the node.js dependency which in turns pulls in node-gyp which depends on Python 2.

Comment

It used to be a surprise - aquarium, matrix (live wallpaper). Today this is a real challenge. I lobby for "live wall" & I'll do it until such solution is created

Comment

Like a few people stated here, I feel the same. I used love looking forward to new releases of Ubuntu, count the days, test every stage of milestone (in virtual environment and sometimes on bare metal), but now I am more or less okay cool. I will wait for the update to hit my system(s), as I am too busy with other stuff these days. I am very happy for this one though a solid release and I love using both Kubuntu and Ubuntu. Both are top notch releases.

Comment

So I installed 20.04. My initial impression was Grimace was about to do naughty, hugging things to me. What I'm saying is that login screen is freakin purple y'all. But enough of that...

The plan was to install Kubuntu 20.04, but its disk didn't have the ZFS option. Dammit. Plan A was not off to a good start.

So Plan B was flashing Ubuntu 20.04 from the Kubuntu live session and, outside of one very, very, VERY noticeable issue I had, the install was just fine. The standard click next a few times, auto-partitioner magic, fill out some forms, click a map....what we've come to expect from a standard GUI Linux install. The noticeable issue -- I selected ZFS and the installer kept saying Ext4 for everything afterwards....really??? I wasn't sure I was actually using ZFS until I ran "sudo zpool list" upon boot.

First thing was first. I needs me some KDE. Their default Gnome desktop was fine and all, but I know what I like and that wasn't it so "sudo apt instal tasksel" followed by "sudo tasksel install kubuntu-desktop". That went fine. That's when I discovered that Ubuntu has this ZFS closed bug when I went to convert the root and boot pools from single disks to mirrors. Luckily the tip in that thread worked and my desktop has mirrored ZFS boot and root pools. Yay.

When I ran "zpool status" after that I realized Ubuntu might have a pretty important ZFS issue they might need to deal with. Their installer uses /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7 when creating the zpools. ZoL recommends that Ubuntu should have used /dev/disk/by-id/disk-id-part6 and /dev/disk/by-id/disk-id-part7. I have 420 in my username and I caught that within my first 6 terminal commands

But I'm on Kubuntu with SDDM now. Nice and Breezy with no Purple Assault when I log in. So far so good.
                  Last edited by skeevy420; 23 April 2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    It was never alive.
                    And yet it can never die, making Linux Desktop something unkillable.

Comment

So is there chromium snapcrap-only? Any experience?

Comment

Working...
                      X