Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VirtIO-FS Support Is In QEMU 5.0 For Better File/Folder Sharing Between Hosts And VMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtIO-FS Support Is In QEMU 5.0 For Better File/Folder Sharing Between Hosts And VMs

Phoronix: VirtIO-FS Support Is In QEMU 5.0 For Better File/Folder Sharing Between Hosts And VMs

Added back in Linux 5.4 was the VirtIO-FS file-system driver as a a FUSE-framework-based file-system implementation designed for guest to/from host file-system sharing for VirtIO para-virtualized devices. Now with QEMU 5.0 VirtIO-FS is supported on its side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I think there is a a typo;

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: VirtIO-FS Support Is In QEMU 5.0 For Better File/Folder Sharing Between Hosts And VMs

Added back in Linux 5.4 was the VirtIO-FS file-system driver as a a FUSE-framework-based file-system implementation designed for guest to/from host file-system sharing for VirtIO para-virtualized devices. Now with QEMU 5.0 VirtIO-FS is supported on its side...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...EMU-5.0-Merged

Comment

Seems having your root filesystem be virtio-fs is possible. Pretty nice to be to not have to deal with disk images (but disk images will still be very nice to have for some things).

Comment

Hmm... slowly virtualisation is coming full circle back to being chroot.

Comment

I'm currently using QEMU on a Windows host to Linux guest every day for work so I was hoping to get this going under Windows. I've been able to build the WinFSP passthrough-fuse3 test program using mingw-w64 but I get a DLL error when I try to run it. Trying to build virtiofsd itself just leads to a ton of compile errors. I guess it needs to be adjusted to use the POSIX compatibility layer that WinFSP has and I bet that layer has a lot missing. Switching to Rust is interested but I suspect it won't make this any easier.

Comment

Can a Windows guest VM using WinFSP access a Linux host VirtIO-FS shared folder?

Comment

Maybe I got it wrong, VirtIO-FS is being used by Linux guests (kernel 5.4) accessing a shared folder on the host, right!
              So WinFSP is the equalevant of VirtIO-FS for Win guests? Can it be used to access shared folders on the KVM host?

Comment

Working...
              X