Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop!_OS 20.04 Beta Benchmarks On The System76 Thelio Major

Phoronix: Pop!_OS 20.04 Beta Benchmarks On The System76 Thelio Major

System76 has released the 20.04 beta of their Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS Linux distribution. This release comes with various improvements and in this article are some initial benchmarks of Pop!_OS 20.04 beta compared to their prior 19.10 release when testing on the System76 Thelio Major with AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pop os 20.04 seems to have an issue with mounting drives with steam.hopefully they get that fixed.steam does not see the mounted drive all of a sudden.it was fine in 19.10

Comment

do you really have to use 3990x for these benchmarks? i know that beast looks awesome but still...most of us can't afford that kind of cpu+motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
        do you really have to use 3990x for these benchmarks? i know that beast looks awesome but still...most of us can't afford that kind of cpu+motherboard
        It's the only System76 system I have and so figured that was most akin for the comparison.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael You don't seem to be a fan of trying to simulate lower hardware by disabling cores or features like HyperThreading. Is there a reason for that?

Comment

I wonder what kind of thought process they went through to conclude "yes, yes, we need another Ubuntu reskin."

Comment

Why does that need to apply here? I don't have such a beast under my desk too but I the numbers are none the less interesting, aren't they? If you want to know what your personal computer can do you maybe should use your personal computer?

Comment

Hibbelharry well the idea was that people needs a way to relate to these benchmarks. putting a beast at work that has gen4 /quad channel/huge number of cores/whatever that is not present in a normal desktop (i know gen4 is in ryzen3) is not gonna help to make an idea about the benchmarks. oh well...just saying.
                its a good idea to install it and test it only if u had that many hard disks to keep formatting and trying for every benchmark.

Comment

I think this benchmark supposed to compare two os version on the very same system. Focus is on the relative performance between those two. for the rough estimation you can use the same percentage to asume the performance gain on your system.

Comment

Someone really has to make Heavy Metal OS. The situation is getting out of hands.

Comment

Working...
                    X