Pop!_OS 20.04 Beta Benchmarks On The System76 Thelio Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    I wonder what kind of thought process they went through to conclude "yes, yes, we need another Ubuntu reskin."
    The same thought process that forces all OEMs to have their own distinct interfaces for everything instead of doing it in a standard way.

Aka brand recognition and vendor lock-in (the latter applies in a very limited way on Linux, admittedly)

Comment

I wonder what kind of thought process they went through to conclude "yes, yes, we need another Ubuntu reskin."
      They same process that the Ubuntu team used to make a Debian reskin perhaps

Comment

Before I started to use it for my gaming rig...I have also been thinking: why the hell do we need a new ubuntu reskin? But there are more changes. Opting AMD or Nvidia branch during installation. Systemd bootloader. More recent firmware. Newer Lutris and gamemode out of the box. And it feels a bit more tidy.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Before I started to use it for my gaming rig...I have also been thinking: why the hell do we need a new ubuntu reskin? But there are more changes. Opting AMD or Nvidia branch during installation. Systemd bootloader. More recent firmware. Newer Lutris and gamemode out of the box. And it feels a bit more tidy.
          Cool, but why rename it and change the default wallpaper if the relevant changes are under the hood?

Comment

Would be more interesting if you installed stock ubuntu (or whateverother distro) on the box and compared it to pop_os.

Comment

Cool, but why rename it and change the default wallpaper if the relevant changes are under the hood?
              I could say the same thing for the first Kia's that were just reskinned Fords, or for the current Opel Grandland X that is just a Peugeot 3008 reskin.

Comment

Just like the old days: grouchy old timers do not like these new hardware creators (notebook computers) "ruining Linux". BTW: I'm a "boomer", aged seventy myself.
                The solo user with the desktop or mobile PC is the very last frontier that Linux has not yet touched. Both Microsoft & Apple are very far ahead of the Linux pretenders, including Android, the most successful Linux yet for the solo user.

Watched another old time professional, "forced" to use Pop!_OS, as a replacement for professional video edits. Both Apple & Windows could not meet the performance demands of this very professional organization. The preferred software was originally designed for Centos, then ported to Apple & Microsoft. Centos was so old, that it did not handle the latest video hardware, and had an old, old Linux kernel. So the company described how they converted the application to work very well with Pop!_OS.
                > "Pop_OS Reviewed by High Profile YouTube Channel"
                > "Posted by u/hatemjaber, 3 months ago on REDDIT.

Comment

Working...
                X