Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Elects A New Project Leader For 2020

Phoronix: Debian Elects A New Project Leader For 2020

The results of the 2020 Debian Project Leader election are in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm glad for Jonathan that we won this year. I think he can hopefully get the community back together to push new ideas more than it was the case the last years. Brian Gupta also had a nice agenda, but I guess it was too one sided for most DDs (a term that hopefully gets replaced with DPMs soon).

Comment

Rather than "Debian Developer" and its derivatives, Carter is interested in finding new terminology like potentially referring to them as "Debian Project Member"
      Is that a euphemism like how Walmart called me "an associate" to sugarcoat being what everyone else calls a minimum wage stock person? Work enough crappy jobs with titles like that and you get suspicious of titles like that.

That said, they tend to look like some pretty big boobs when Qt lingers on and causes all sorts of oddball Plasma issues so I can see them wanting to get rid of the double D acronym.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post
        I'm glad for Jonathan that we won this year. I think he can hopefully get the community back together to push new ideas more than it was the case the last years. Brian Gupta also had a nice agenda, but I guess it was too one sided for most DDs (a term that hopefully gets replaced with DPMs soon).
        NFI what purpose this bikeshedding has; could you can't some light on what tangible benefit you see in this?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

NFI what purpose this bikeshedding has; could you can't some light on what tangible benefit you see in this?
          If you mean Brian's agenda: the SPI is not was it was for Debian anymore. Don't forget that Debian basically founded the SPI, but nowadays Debian is treated like every other member, the DPL isn't even a special member anymore.
          A Debian Foundation could help the project to get some important organisation stuff deligated easier (without ditching the SPI as ttusted organization), and also gives the project more control over the income.

What was problematic that his application specifically only talked about this - he said he will only do this and not really anything else, and takes the DPL election as a vote for this concept in case he wins.

Edit: ah you probably mean the DD thing. Well the problem is not really the name itself, more how it is used outside of Debian. Some people claim there are a "Debian Developer" or "Debian Maintainer", because they know how the packaging works, but they aren't official Debian DDs or DMs. Also, there are uploading DDs, which have access to the complete archive, non-uploading DDs, which have the same rights except the upload rights, and some more position which less than ideal naming schemes.
          Last edited by 9Strike; 19 April 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

These organizational changes, if studied academically, would give interesting insights. There are now many academics teaching, researching and trying to correlate relevance to how management affects real performances.
            In our Linux worlds, these are easier & clearer to research & study than most management structures. We all need better understanding of skills and talents of the performers in all organizations. The performance results are much easier to measure in our Linux world.
            My interest is similar to the Olympic & Performing Arts. How do we have the "general public" provide enough interest, to support the many staff members supplied in the upper levels of our industries. Amateurs & volunteers of all kinds are essential for the growth, development, health etc of every organization.
            In our computer coding worlds, we know that hardware & software structures, plus legal & social boundaries affect our "measurable productivity".
            History of our computing efforts also shows our "failures". Explaining, measuring and then predicting these is interesting. Apple moved to Unix based systems. Will Microsoft do this, and when?
            Debian is "defeating" Red Hat", which seems imprisoned into a "bad" RPM system that lacks adaptability, by deliberate design. Why do the "parent" systems (Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, etc) generate various categories of behaving or mis-behaving "children". Do the adventures of Canonical & Mint affect the "parent" or "grand-parent (Debian)?
            Finally, what is wrong with the grand parent? Will Debian die, like most parents & grand-parents? As a very sick & medically incapable "adult", aged seventy, am I like Debian; a stable & wanted reminder of the old days?

Comment

If they want to be more inclusive, taking political positions is counter productive: Not all people support BLM and people are currently killing each other because of this. By taking a position, they are less inclusive.

Comment

Working...
              X