Ubuntu Begins Offering A Rolling Release Kernel For The Amazon Cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange.
    I can see why you would like support for patches and backporting of security features, but if your server has its hardware supported, why then would you need it?
    There might be a use case for servers than aren't running in VM, but that still need to be moved to newer hardware. But how often does that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      It never stop to amaze me the stupidity of Canonical decisions.
      They use old software (kernel 5.4, Qt 5.12, etc.) on desktop distro and cutting edge software on server distro ???
      Normally I would say that someone makes a joke, but knowing Canonical that takes every crappy road just to abbandon it a few years later, I know this is true.
      kRead the article before talk

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It never stop to amaze me the stupidity of Canonical decisions.
        They use old software (kernel 5.4, Qt 5.12, etc.) on desktop distro and cutting edge software on server distro ???
        Normally I would say that someone makes a joke, but knowing Canonical that takes every crappy road just to abbandon it a few years later, I know this is true.
        I never stop to be amazed by your stupid rants, not knowing what you're talking about. Your estimate is wrong, and it's all written down in the article you didn't read.

Comment

Meanwhile the official CentOS 8 AMI is a year late.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Why not?
            Because in prod you would need... stability?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Because in prod you would need... stability?
              Stability is overrated anyway

Comment

For the people who haven't read the article:
                * you can opt out easily
                * rolling != the "arch model". You get newer kernel versions every 6 months coinciding with kernels on new ubuntu releases. You aren't getting random kernels in between.

This is basically the same as rolling in with HWE kernels on LTS, although HWE is more conservative (new kernel version comes from the ubuntu release preceding the current one) and it also covers graphics.

Comment

Working...
                X