No announcement yet.

Fedora 32 Delayed From Releasing Next Week Due To Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft would have just pushed the update.

Comment

Been using fedora for years.

The perfect compromise between a rolling release and a standard releases.
      QA is also a lot more transparent than in ubuntu and debian friends. It's just another level.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        I downloaded the Fedora 32 netinstall ISO, so I could get a smaller installer image and also the ability to pick and choose what I wanted to install. I had been running Arch on my dual-boot, but I do some personal and work work on RHEL and CentOS servers images, so figured it would be nice to be in a familiar environment for my Linux boot at home, just something a little more up to date.

The first time I installed the full standard Workstation environment, so Gnome and whatever else comes with it. Honestly, I want to like Gnome, but it is too much, don't need. Did a second install, this time doing the "Fedora Custom Operating System" for a "basic building block for a custom Fedora system" option. I then built it up from there, for a minimal Sway "desktop". Up to date Sway (for now) and an up to date Red Hat-ish environment (for now), that is really all I need.

I know there are some folks here that will have their feelings hurt that I just couldn't do the "Gnome Way", but seriously, no way. Maybe some day, but not today. Right now, it's all Sway! What can I say??!!
        I'm not too sure how a bar on the left and a bar at the top which some useful applications is too much but my first long use of Linux was terminal only with no desktop installed and it was really nice to have the desktop when I finally did install one. So I might not ever understand what you said.

Maybe its too much graphical niceness for you? I've never been one to disable graphical niceness even for "performance" as I feel that's really silly.

Guess if you feel that you don't need it, then there's really nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I'm not too sure how a bar on the left and a bar at the top which some useful applications is too much but my first long use of Linux was terminal only with no desktop installed and it was really nice to have the desktop when I finally did install one. So I might not ever understand what you said.

Maybe its too much graphical niceness for you? I've never been one to disable graphical niceness even for "performance" as I feel that's really silly.

Guess if you feel that you don't need it, then there's really nothing wrong with that.
          To be honest, I was being a bit of a smarty pants. But, that said. In Gnome, I don't like the default font, I don't like the default styling, I don't like the default animations, I don't a gazillion background things being launched, etc.

Now to be clear, Linux is not my default desktop for many things. I have been able to customize another OS (wow, you don't say??) to fit my needs quite well. And to be honest, my *nix skills help out here a lot. For me, my Linux boot is mostly for development. Command line and a browser. Firefox, I use almost exclusively on that other OS. But looks junky in Linux. Chromium set to Classic styling (bypassing GTK), looks great (set to GTK styling looks junky.) That is all I need. Was running: Arch + Sway + Alacritty + Chromium, now running Fedora + Sway + Kitty + Chromium. Fedora does not have Alacritty in main repos, but does have Kitty.
          Last edited by ehansin; 19 April 2020, 12:24 PM. Reason: My last sentence didn't make sense, needed to adjust.

Comment

Working...
          X