Fedora 32 Delayed From Releasing Next Week Due To Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

more services out the box and how they're configured, e.g. firewalld slows network.target being reached.
    firewalld is on the Debian machines as well, but yeah, it's probably down to the actual services installed and their configurations and inter-dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

firewalld is on the Debian machines as well, but yeah, it's probably down to the actual services installed and their configurations and inter-dependencies.
      Debian/Ubuntu rely on dash+systemd for faster boots. Debian does not install a firewall by default (of course you can install firewalld) and I'm not sure if Ubuntu activates ufw by default.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Debian/Ubuntu rely on dash+systemd for faster boots. Debian does not install a firewall by default (of course you can install firewalld) and I'm not sure if Ubuntu activates ufw by default.
        I don't think it does, but firewalld is a much much larger beast than ufw.

firewalld even has a dbus service.

Comment

I downloaded the Fedora 32 netinstall ISO, so I could get a smaller installer image and also the ability to pick and choose what I wanted to install. I had been running Arch on my dual-boot, but I do some personal and work work on RHEL and CentOS servers images, so figured it would be nice to be in a familiar environment for my Linux boot at home, just something a little more up to date.

The first time I installed the full standard Workstation environment, so Gnome and whatever else comes with it. Honestly, I want to like Gnome, but it is too much, don't need. Did a second install, this time doing the "Fedora Custom Operating System" for a "basic building block for a custom Fedora system" option. I then built it up from there, for a minimal Sway "desktop". Up to date Sway (for now) and an up to date Red Hat-ish environment (for now), that is really all I need.

I know there are some folks here that will have their feelings hurt that I just couldn't do the "Gnome Way", but seriously, no way. Maybe some day, but not today. Right now, it's all Sway! What can I say??!!

Comment

m'late

(10chars)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What meme?
              To me Fedora has always been buggy.
              About 99.9999999999% of Fedora releases are delayed at least once, so you know, if it's Fedora, it has to be delayed.

Comment

It is an interesting blocker (failure to see lvm volumes, "sometimes" when booting in rescue mode or certain custom partitioning uses). Certainly feels like something timing dependent, and as such why it was not seen during regular QA where not all possible timings might happen. While it is unfortunately it was identified just before release, rather than weeks or months ago, it is better to catch it now (and block) before release. Now that they finally have a reproducer they should be able to get it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

more services out the box and how they're configured, e.g. firewalld slows network.target being reached.
                  I screwed around with my Fedora services to remove the network-online dependency from gdm. Also had to remove Plymouth otherwise it blocks gdm.

Saves about 3s off the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

I screwed around with my Fedora services to remove the network-online dependency from gdm. Also had to remove Plymouth otherwise it blocks gdm.

Saves about 3s off the boot.
                    Plymouth is a difficult one, it will hide the splash screen when it thinks the system is actually booted, but it's a configuration issue as to when it thinks it's in a ready-state.

There's a plymouth-wait service that killing should help with that if you want to keep plymouth.

Comment

I've been running the beta on a number of machines for a couple of weeks and every thing seems solid. I was surprised by the the issue with switching between users as that was a problem I was having with FC31 but went away when I upgraded to 32. Go figure. The only issue I have had so far is with third party packages that haven't upgraded beyond EOL python2 yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X