Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also doesn't work with local network searches:
    e.g.:
    1. I have some DNS servers set up using dnsmasq on my home network.
    2. My router uses those DNS servers for all static DHCP-based clients.
    3. The machines on my network are configured with 'search mydomain.net' in /etc/resolv.conf so that I can easily resolve any hostname on the network without typing in a fully-qualified DNS name (I was sick of keeping /etc/hosts files synchronized between all of my machines).
    4. systemd-resolved refuses to resolve any local names by appending the search suffix and querying my DNS servers. I've had to disable an otherwise workable DNS resolver because they refuse to fix this issue. https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2514

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      It also doesn't work with local network searches:
      e.g.:
      1. I have some DNS servers set up using dnsmasq on my home network.
      2. My router uses those DNS servers for all static DHCP-based clients.
      3. The machines on my network are configured with 'search mydomain.net' in /etc/resolv.conf so that I can easily resolve any hostname on the network without typing in a fully-qualified DNS name (I was sick of keeping /etc/hosts files synchronized between all of my machines).
      4. systemd-resolved refuses to resolve any local names by appending the search suffix and querying my DNS servers. I've had to disable an otherwise workable DNS resolver because they refuse to fix this issue. https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2514
      Apparently that is the right thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by flux242 View Post
        i had to disable Systemd-Resolved years ago because it was leaking dns in case of a vpn connection
        Can you share the RHBZ# on the bug you opened on the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Can you share the RHBZ# on the bug you opened on the issue?
          I can't be bothered to look it up, but there's definitely an issue ticket either on systemd's Git or Ubuntu that specifically mentions this problem. I ran into this on Ubuntu months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

It's pretty nice to have a resolver that supports DNS over TLS natively available.
            *This* proposal will not enable DoH / DoT by default (but maybe in F34?), but individuals can choose to do so. One of the challenges with DoH / DoT are the various strong differences in opinions in exactly when one should try to use it, and exactly which server you should try to use, so what defaults should be chosen? And that does not even include the various fall back scenarios and all those various hotspot logins that use DNS intercept in order to let you use that "free" WiFi (remember the past where there were signs saying "connect to http://192.0.2.1 to login"? We could have to go back to those).

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
              I can't be bothered to look it up
              So it has been resolve(d).

Comment

I am assuming this will break my own private DNS server and my own domain... so have to disable this in kickstart for good. I do not want a caching nameserver when I run my own DNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

I can't be bothered to look it up, but there's definitely an issue ticket either on systemd's Git or Ubuntu that specifically mentions this problem. I ran into this on Ubuntu months ago.
                  Apparently Ubuntu doesn't ship with resolved in the recommended configuration so that may be why.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

It's pretty nice to have a resolver that supports DNS over TLS natively available.
                    I prefer Unbound and NSD, or any tool built to support dns properly. SystemD seems to want to build a full OS...

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post

I prefer Unbound and NSD, or any tool built to support dns properly. SystemD seems to want to build a full OS...
                      from the systemd website - "systemd is a suite of basic building blocks for a Linux system."

So yes, systemd does provide a basic userland for a Linux system.

Comment

Working...
                      X